NewsNew Compass shipping soon • Compass: mpg, $$$ • Demon’s drag suspension: better launches

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing front seats

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by captn, Feb 6, 2017.

1. captn

captn Member

Purchased a 2005 Sebring few years back and the lower front seat had been damaged by maybe a cigarette and left a hole. My wife has decided that it's time for me to take care of it. : -)

Just a question to start my adventure, I would like to find out, and I am assuming these seats are used on many similar Chrysler products so a trip to some local auto scrap yards should find something.

My question is: What Chrysler models use this type of seat.

My other quick question is: Does the lower seat part unbolt and come away so this can be changed without removing the whole seat? The pack part is in good shape and finding a used one will probably match well.

Thanks for any help here.....

2. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Member

The Dodge Stratus uses the same seat.

3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Member

Unless you have a convertable.

4. captn

captn Member

Yes, it's a convertible, are the seats different?

5. blackstratus

blackstratus Member

Yes you must use convertible seats only, the sedan has the seat belts on the pillar of which the convertible doesn't have :) 01-06 Chrysler Sebring Convertibles would be my search. With regard to different option packages, you had the usual cloth and then depending on the year and package (Limited, Touring LXI ect) you had different seat material design, (ex: suede and leather and full leather). I use www.car-part.com for my salvage yard search and associated parts. You can search it down to your specific area. I find removing the whole seat to be a fairly straight forward project on these cars, 4 bolts. I have never had had the lower cushion separated.

6. captn

captn Member

Thank you 'blackstratus' for your very informative post and the link.
    I was hoping to just be able to flip if the lower seat portion but we both know that would be much too easy : -)
    Thanks again....

blackstratus likes this.
  7. Citation84

Citation84 Member

Would an auto upholstery firm fix it with less trouble ? Or is the whole seat trashed ?

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Most salvage yards would only sell the seat as a complete assembly, they would not dismantle it to sell you a portion of the seat. Going by the interior trim code listed on the underhood body plate or driver's door label is the best method of trim identification.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  9. captn

captn Member

Yes, I believe it could be upholstered but I'm going to have to find if the seat part can be removed or am going to have to take the whole seat.
    I'm sure it can but was just wondering if anyone had removed just the seat part before.....

10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

As IC said, junkards only sell the entire seat, and then you are left with the disposal problem of the half that you don't need. I tried to get the hinge/latch mechanism for a Dakota seat, and they would only sell the whole seat for $50. That's what it cost me to get the metal plate with centrifugal latch.

Separating the seat is trickier than it looks. I would swap the entire seat, much faster and foolproof.

11. captn

captn Member

Yes Bob, totally understand certainly isn't like going to a parts store. I was more responding to Citation84's post regarding upholstering the seat and whether the seat part is removable. Probably should pull the seat out and check it out...

12. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Active Member

I 2nd the replacing the entire seat. Often its just 4 bolts, and disconnecting one or two wires remove the seat. The seat sections often are not designed to be dis-assembled or serviced, perhaps other than the cover that isn't a simple job to remove and replace either. Don't be surprised if the parts are riveted together.

The bolts for the seat frame often go through to be exposed on the under body, so they can corrode and seize. Again some penetrating oil can help, I have snapped off seat bolts in my '95 Cherokee, but other vehicles they may have been a bit difficult, they never broke and came out.*

I haven't replaced any seats in my vehicles, I merely have cleaned them thoroughly by removing the seats. True, not every time I clean the vehicle, but its been a few years and its looking rather ratty inside, its well worth the effort to pull the seats out and clean them separate. (really only takes a few extra minutes).

13. slosland

slosland Member

Fixing the hole isn't that big of a deal, you can do it yourself. If it's vinyl or leather use a repair kit like Magic Mender or the one by 3M. If it's fabric use carpet tufts or find an inconspicuous spot under the front or back seat that you can remove some excess fabric that matches, all you need is a little more than the size of the hole. Mix the tufts with regular white glue, enough to hold them together, push in the hole and leave a little above the surface and let dry. When it's dry take some fine scissors and trim away the excess.

14. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

We had a mobile interior trim repair service come to the dealer to touch up interior damage on used cars before they were put on the lot. Many of his repairs were so good that you couldn't tell that a repair had been done, no matter how closely you looked.
    He could exactly match tints and textures of seats, door trim panels and dashboards. There is big money in leather repair.
    With the vehicle trim code, you could look up and see if the factory replacement seat cushion material is available NOS. The trim code can be found in a couple of places. I remember that these trim items were costly from Mopar, but demand is so low now that it might be considered a clearance item if still in someone's inventory?