NewsThe minivan that just won’t die • Spotted: the terms for Demon owners • Ram vs “rest of FCA” in JD Power

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shorty headers for an LX: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Tommy Boy, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

When it comes down to it, trading for a 392 may be more cost effective... or are we talking about a 392 already?

I hate that answer as a recipient, as I got it back when I wanted to upgrade my Sundance and was told to trade it in on a turbo — and they were right.

2. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator Level 2 Supporter

Find a set of stock SRT exhaust manifolds and mid pipes. They can be found for under $300 and are factory short tube headers.

You will need a 2.75 to 2.5 adapter to attach your stock R/T.

I have these installed on my 2009 R/T... the difference is night and day.

Mike

Tommy Boy and stroudtom like this.
  3. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Member Level III Supporter

Would they work on a 5.7 in a 1500?

4. Mike V.

I don't know. Physically they will fit the head, will they clear the frames rails or anything else? I don't know.

Mike

wtxiceman likes this.
  5. Tomguy

Tomguy Member Level 2 Supporter

I doubt it, but SRT Jeep ones might.

As for power gains from them, figure 5-10 HP if you have supporting mods, ex: Cam, heads, etc.
    The best power gains for a 5.7 is a cam & valve spring upgrade. I was going to do it on my Charger, wound up trading in for the Jeep instead. That's 30-45HP depending on the cam, tune, etc. And cost is probably not even double what your headers & install would run. Not a 6.1 or 6.4 stock cam but a custom grind. Check LX Forums for ideas & what people run. The one I had in hand was an FRI Hellfire cam, which was about 40HP more with just the cam, springs, and CAI Diablo tune.

Tommy Boy, Bearhawke and wtxiceman like this.
  6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member Level III Supporter

All of a sudden a story came to mind from my dyno days at Chrysler when we were doing the rating runs ( numbers for advertising). I was running "full spread" of runs from full gross to full net (which is the way the engine is equipped with in the car) all the way to a complete car exhaust system for a 383 Road Runner engine. So I got to the last run where I had to put on the chrome exhaust tips and run a final test. We were really surprised when we lost around 5 HP by putting the tips on. So we ran the test 2 more times and the same thing happened so we just used the numbers for the test without the chrome tips. Could never figure out why it happened. When I ran the same type of tests on the 440 there was no loss so it was one of those quirks you can't figure out.

7. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Member

I would think changing out the mid pipes would necessarily require a re-tune because of the different cats?

8. Mike V.

No. A catalytic converter is a catalytic converter.

Mike

Tommy Boy likes this.
  9. DC-93

DC-93 Member

Another story - on DC-93, when it was still a Charger 500, they discovered the outlet angle cut of the exhaust dumps changed lap times by up to 1/2 second per lap at Daytona!! That is huge for a simple bologna slice!
    They surmised the air going by the dumps was pulling out the exhaust pulses.