NewsState of the Hemi, 2022 • Even Demon test cars live to be broken • FCA racks in NEMPA awards

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare Tire Question

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by dana44, May 18, 2017.

1. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

Well, kids will be kids, it happens. My daughter got a flat tire, changed it with the spare and proceeded to get a flat on the spare tire. She gets the tire replaced but the couldn't or wouldn't repair the spare tire, and needless to say, she didn't save the rim. (DOOH).

Needless to say, if I can't find a spare tire and rim for a PT Cruiser (2002), what other cars are the same rim/tire? Is it all front wheel drive cars for the past 25 years, or something specific I need to look for at the salvage yard?

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

LH cars and most minivans used a different bolt pattern. But many FWD cars, including K cars and Neons used the 5x100mm bolt pattern same as the PT Cruiser.

3. AllanC

AllanC Active Member

Research indicates that PT Cruiser for model year 2002 was equipped with either 15, 16 or 17 inch wheel rims. Note the rim size that is on the car now and get a like used rim from salvage.

You need to get an identical rim as far as diameter, rim width, bolt hole pattern and wheel offset. This link gives possible wheel rim sizing used on PT Cruiser and rim offset and bolt pattern.

Chrysler PT Cruiser 2002 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs (at https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chrysler/pt-cruiser/2002/ )

Wheel Information.GIF

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The PT has large front calipers and this necessitates more wheel 'offset' to make room for them. I used online tire/wheel size calculator websites to see what wheels would fit. PT wheels are fairly unique.
    My dad had a 2002 with the 16" chrome plated aluminum rims that were peeling and corroding badly. I found a set of aluminum 15" Neon wheels and went with a slightly taller tire that worked with wheel hub spacers.
    I generally don't like using wheel spacers because the lug nut has about 1/8" less hold on the wheel stud threads, but my dad was a sedate driver and I wasn't particularly worried about cornering/braking forces weakening the studs.

5. pt006

pt006 Member

Dana; the spare tire rim is different than the other 4 rims. The spare tire is a high pressure 'peanut tire'. It's a tight fit under the car in the tire rack holder. If she's missing the spare tire type rim, it should be plentiful in the boneyards. Neon spare might fit if it's a 5 bolt. Sebring sedan/conv. might be too tall? ------- And drag her down to the boneyard with you. An experience she'll remember for a long time.

6. dana44

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I would not have to look for specific PT Cruiser spare tire.

AllanC, very good info, thanks, but just looking for the spare tire itself. Want to make sure it fits in the spare tire holder, which is smaller than the actual tires and rims on the car. That was something my Mom-in-law always insisted when she bought a new Chrysler, a spare tire that was the same as the original tires on the car, to which the PT Cruiser was not able to meet this requirement because of the spare tire holder under the rear of the car.

I guess this didn't post last night. Yes, it is the spare tire I want to find, yes, daughter is going to go with me, so just trying to verify the PT Cruiser is a spare tire specific only rim or whether there are multiple models I can expand the search to find one.

7. AllanC

AllanC Active Member

I researched and it seems the temporary spare used on the PT Cruise had a tire side of 125 / 70 / 15. The Neon used the same bolt pattern 5 X 100 -- 5 holes at 100 mm bolt diameter circle.

Do not forget to check the center bore opening on the rim that you purchase. It must be the same size so that the center hub carries the weight of the vehicle and the lug bolts hold it tight. You do NOT want an incorrect rim center bore such that the 5 lug bolts carry the vehicle weight. You are inviting a disaster with that arrangement. The Neon used the same center bore at 57.1 mm. As mentioned you will have to check any replacement rim for clearance with the front brake calipers.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

I see a compact spare wheel rim size of 15" x 4" for the PT. The rim has a Mopar # 5272960AA. Spare wheel room was limited on the PT.
    The Neon has the same hub size and has more room in the trunk floor for a spare. It is 15" x 5.5" and has a Mopar # 4879240AA.
    If the Neon spare has the offset that will clear the PT brake caliper, then a Neon spare may work OK.

9. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to grab one at a junkyard and send it to you. I don't know if you'd want to go to that expense.

10. dana44

Right now there are several junkyards down the road, and being a big metropolitan area I should be able to get the spare off a PT Cruiser, but always good to have a backup, thus asking the question. It will give the daughter and me a road trip visit while she is home for summer break from college. Chuzz, appreciate the offer, Florida to San Diego is quite a distance, there just has to be something in between, right? But thanks for the offer.

chuzz likes this.