NewsThe minivan that just won’t die • Spotted: the terms for Demon owners • Ram vs “rest of FCA” in JD Power

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

There are some gripper teeth, but only at the top of the windshield. There is no trim at all over the middle side windows, so, I think I'm going to have to find some aluminum strips and make what I need. Otherwise, it'll just be a glued edge of headliner.

2. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

[sorry about the hi-jack]

Please carry on with this awesome thread. Sorry to interrupt.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  3. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I made a pattern out of cardboard and marked it on some 1" wide aluminum to make headliner trim for over the middle windows. Car show tomorrow, so I hope to get them installed on Sunday and finish out this headliner.
    Plaza headliner trim (2).jpg Plaza headliner trim.jpg

dana44 likes this.
  4. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

5. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I lost a couple of nuts that hold on some of the dash trim. Just my luck, they're #12 studs. I don't think I've ever in my life needed a 12-24 nut. It's not a size that my Home Depot carries. So, courtesy of Amazon Prime, I should have a package of 100 of them in 2 days. Of course, 98 of those will sit on the shelf until the end of time.

saltydog likes this.
  6. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

The rear view mirror was nasty. Rusty in places, the finish was cracked, and there was 60 years of dirt, tar, and nicotine built up on it. I scrubbed it, sanded it, primed it, and painted it in satin black to match the rest of what I've got going on color wise.
    Plaza mirror.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  7. saltydog

saltydog Active Member

The headliner looks amazing! Great job! I also like what you did with the mirror, the one in my New Yorker is nasty! You have now given me an idea.

8. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

My '55 sun visors were shot and the brackets were corroded. I painted the brackets in satin black to match the mirror and touched up a pair of extra '71 Charger visors and used them.
    Plaza Sun Visors.jpg Plaza Sun Visors (2).jpg Plaza Sun Visor Bracket Dr Side.jpg Plaza Sun Visor Bracket Pass Side.jpg Plaza Sun Visor pass side.jpg Plaza Sun Visor.jpg

dana44 and saltydog like this.
  9. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

Today, I got up the nerve to slice the headliner to install the LED dome light. I also wired two small LED spots into the dome light circuit and put them in the back on either side of the tailgate.
    Plaza LED Dome Light (2).jpg Plaza LED Spot.jpg

10. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

That headliner job turned out well :)

11. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

My box of 12-24 nuts finally arrived so I could finish up the dash trim. Was this size common in the '50s? Not the easiest size to find today.
    Plaza Dash Trim (2).jpg Plaza Dash Trim Nuts.jpg

12. 68RT

68RT Active Member

About as common as Left hand lug bolts.

13. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I tried a test drive and realized after hearing an unpleasant sound that something was amiss. The alternator pulley was just enough out of alignment that it spit the belt off. So, I aligned the pulley and went to AutoZone and bought a new belt. Unfortunately, the listed belt is too short for my alternator conversion. So, for now, I'll have to reuse the old belt.
    Plaza belt failure.jpg Plaza belt too short.jpg

14. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I've been unable to achieve a firm brake pedal. I've bled the system multiple times and am not getting any air out of it. The MC was bench bled (twice). The fluid level isn't dropping and there are no visible drips from anywhere in the system. I've come to the conclusion that I got a defective MC. I just ordered another and it should be here Friday. I really want to take this thing to a local show on Saturday, but not if I can't get a firm pedal.

15. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Try clamping off your three (3) rubber brake hoses, then put pressure on the brake pedal for one minute; if the pedal starts dropping, it's probably a defective MC as you suspect. If the pedal stays firm, then the problem's a brake hose or wheel cylinder.