News → At last, the Demon price • New 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap
Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!
Register or log in at the top right of the page...
Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.
Sometimes, it's easier without an assistant.
Wow, lots of stuff in there. Keep up the good work, the car looks great!
You didn't find that stuffed in with the mouse stuff, did you? HAHAHA
I went with Sylvania Xtra Vision headlights. I needed a 12V horn, so I pulled an extra '71 horn off the shelf and mated it to a bracket from an '87 Lancer which I drilled and tapped. I'm still trying to decide which disc brake conversion to go with so I wired the brake light circuit with extra wire so the switch can be moved around if necessary. My graveyard of old wiring is still growing, but, at this point, almost all of the old wiring is out now. The "boss" continues to oversee progress.
Pulled the upper metal dash which was badly peeling to give it a coat of satin black. Having that out of the way made it easier to mount a couple of resistors for the 6V wiper and blower motors.
Would that be Boss Dog? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) He looks happy in the car. He should be even happier when you can take him for a ride in it.
You have the older single-reservoir master cylinder. Are you planning to convert to a dual-reservoir system?
I like how you're updating progress here. I don't like working on wiring systems, but yours is much simpler than current and recent models.
I'm definitely switching to a dual MC. I still need to choose a disc brake conversion. It's surprising that there are multiple options for these cars. I'm thinking Scarebird.
I stripped all the gauges out of the dash panel for painting and installed the electronic voltage reducers on the temp and gas gauges.
Had a nice warm day today. I couldn't let that go to waste. Got the dash panel painted, the steering wheel painted, headlight bezels and some of the dash trim painted. Also swapping the painted tail light bezels for stainless ones I got from CTC Auto Ranch.
Today, I received and installed my RetroSound dual voice coil speaker. Fit pretty nicely with minimal modification.
I installed a bus bar on the passenger side of the steering column bracket. I'll run a fused accessory lead to that so I'll have a more convenient access point for powering any accessories I may add. Working around the "inspector" sticking his nose into everything added a level of difficulty.
After several failed attempts, I finally got the glovebox door and ashtray front to take paint without bubbling up or becoming a see of fisheyes. Whatever textured finish they used in '55 did not play well with Rustoleum.
I've got the dash mostly reassembled.
I hooked up dual horns since I had them.
The temp and oil pressure gauges look like they're pretty far from the driver's line of vision. That could be a distraction, unless you take your inspector with you, and he barks when there's a problem.
Nice work so far. Looks like you're giving it a complete restoration.