NewsAt last, the Demon price • New 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

Sometimes, it's easier without an assistant.
    phpBFtv5FPM.jpg

Bearhawke, Citation84 and saltydog like this.
  2. saltydog

saltydog Active Member

Wow, lots of stuff in there. Keep up the good work, the car looks great!

3. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

You didn't find that stuffed in with the mouse stuff, did you? HAHAHA

4. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I went with Sylvania Xtra Vision headlights. I needed a 12V horn, so I pulled an extra '71 horn off the shelf and mated it to a bracket from an '87 Lancer which I drilled and tapped. I'm still trying to decide which disc brake conversion to go with so I wired the brake light circuit with extra wire so the switch can be moved around if necessary. My graveyard of old wiring is still growing, but, at this point, almost all of the old wiring is out now. The "boss" continues to oversee progress.
    Plaza Headlight.jpg Plaza Horn.jpg Plaza MC.jpg Plaza Wiring Graveyard.jpg Bear the Overseer.jpg

Bearhawke likes this.
  5. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

Pulled the upper metal dash which was badly peeling to give it a coat of satin black. Having that out of the way made it easier to mount a couple of resistors for the 6V wiper and blower motors.
    phpN9ko5OPM.jpg phpSnNycQPM.jpg

6. Scrounge

Scrounge Member

Would that be Boss Dog? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) He looks happy in the car. He should be even happier when you can take him for a ride in it.

You have the older single-reservoir master cylinder. Are you planning to convert to a dual-reservoir system?

I like how you're updating progress here. I don't like working on wiring systems, but yours is much simpler than current and recent models.

7. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I'm definitely switching to a dual MC. I still need to choose a disc brake conversion. It's surprising that there are multiple options for these cars. I'm thinking Scarebird.

8. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I stripped all the gauges out of the dash panel for painting and installed the electronic voltage reducers on the temp and gas gauges.
    Plaza dash frame.jpg Plaza gauges.jpg

9. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

Had a nice warm day today. I couldn't let that go to waste. Got the dash panel painted, the steering wheel painted, headlight bezels and some of the dash trim painted. Also swapping the painted tail light bezels for stainless ones I got from CTC Auto Ranch.

Plaza Steering Wheel.jpg Plaza Repainted Dash.jpg Plaza TL Bezel.jpg

dana44 likes this.
  10. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

Today, I received and installed my RetroSound dual voice coil speaker. Fit pretty nicely with minimal modification. Plaza factory speaker.jpg Plaza factory speaker removed.jpg Plaza Speaker mount modified.jpg Plaza RetroSound mounted.jpg Plaza speaker installed in dash.jpg

11. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I installed a bus bar on the passenger side of the steering column bracket. I'll run a fused accessory lead to that so I'll have a more convenient access point for powering any accessories I may add. Working around the "inspector" sticking his nose into everything added a level of difficulty.
    Plaza bus bar.jpg Bear the inspector.jpg

Bearhawke and dana44 like this.
  12. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

After several failed attempts, I finally got the glovebox door and ashtray front to take paint without bubbling up or becoming a see of fisheyes. Whatever textured finish they used in '55 did not play well with Rustoleum. Plaza glove box painted.jpg

13. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I've got the dash mostly reassembled.
    Plaza dash repainted.jpg Plaza dash left section.jpg Plaza dash center section.jpg Plaza right dash section.jpg

14. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Member

I hooked up dual horns since I had them. Plaza dual horns.jpg

15. Scrounge

Scrounge Member

The temp and oil pressure gauges look like they're pretty far from the driver's line of vision. That could be a distraction, unless you take your inspector with you, and he barks when there's a problem.

Nice work so far. Looks like you're giving it a complete restoration.