Allpar Forums banner

the first time towing with my new truck?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bguy 
#1 ·
So I am towing a friends 90 something impalla SS with my 13 Ram 4.7L 6 SPD. I haven't towed anything in about 6 years and I am looking forward to it. This load and the 2 of us will be right at the weight rating of my truck (I have given about 150 lbs for gas and crap in the car) My question is what tranny temp should I be running? I have never towed with a gas truck before and I was never concerned about being close to max weight. Is there anything else I should be watching? I will be towing it about 300 miles.
Thanks for the help
Mick

#2 ·
#3 ·
Will the car be on a trailer or tow dolly? If on a trailer you need to factor in the weight of the trailer as well.

The proper way to figure your tow rating is

CGVWR (the max weight rating of your truck, trailer and everything in them) minus the weight rating of your truck equals the actual tow rating for your vehicle. Then factor in the tongue weight (shouldn't be anymore than 15%. 10% is ideal) and a 15-20% safety margin.

Example:

My truck has a CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 13,000 lbs. It's GVWR is 6,750 lbs which leaves a 6,250 tow rating (and that hasn't factored in the tongue weight and safety margins). Far below the 7,750 rating Dodge says my truck can tow. Granted your truck won't be fully loaded so you could probably tow more.

Do you have a Class IV hitch or a bumper hitch? A bumper hitch is limited to 500 lbs tongue weight.

In general you should be okay.. Take it slow and give yourself plenty of stopping distance. It's not just the engine you have to be concerned with, but the transmission, suspension and brakes as well. I'd inflate the tires to at least 40 lbs.

Make sure to lock out overdrive. The No OD light should be on. You might be able to get away with Tow/Haul mode (will allow the 1st OD), but with that much weight I'd lock out both OD's.

You fuel mileage will s*u*c*k. I'd expect 9-10 mpg at best.

#4 ·
Trailer weight 2000 car with mods 4100 so I am close I have 3:55 gears. I have the factory class IV hitch.
P.S. the trailer probably weights less that a guess by the owner I believe he has the car trailer and the horse trailer confused.

#5 ·
I have experienced my best towing mileage in tow mode with cruise set at 95 cliks. My trans temp rarely gets to 90c. This is my 10 Ram 1500 quad cab with Hemi and 3.55 gears.

edited for clarity:
This is towing my 35 ft travel trailer which has it's own brakes of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.