NewsFiery finish for Beckman – Updated with points • The official vehicle of Canada Day • Ram leaving “big rig” look behind?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission a460 oil

Discussion in 'Omni · Horizon and Derivatives' started by 82JustinHorizon, May 20, 2017.

1. 82JustinHorizon

82JustinHorizon New Member

Hello again, I believe it might be time to change this old cars transmission fluid.

For starters the thing is like 35 years old. But also I notice there is like a high pitch almost siren like sound from the gearswhen driving.

Also, I notice after sitting in traffic to long , the shifter gets a bit sticky and harder to find gears.

Maybe fresh oil can help with that ? And would the recommended replacement be dextron 2 or something else better?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

ATF+3 (Dexron) was the factory fill, but there are better alternatives. I have used the BG Synchro-Shift II (or equivalent) as a replacement manual transaxle oil fill with good results. An API GL-4 grade lube will have properties that are good for brass/bronze (the 'yellow' metals) lubrication.
    BG Syncro Shift® II | BG Products, Inc. (at https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-syncro-shift-ii/ )
    There is no drain plug so the rear diff cover removal is a possibility or much of the oil can be sucked out after removing the fill plug.
    A binding shifter when sitting in traffic may be a clutch problem or an exhaust heat shield is missing to protect the shifter base and linkages from heat? The nearby converter is a huge source of heat.
    Faint gear whine may be normal. A louder whine may be bearings?

3. 82JustinHorizon

82JustinHorizon New Member

interesting. ya the diff cover removal looks like would be a PITA , the sucking method may be the way to go. i would need some sort of pump then?

not sure what do do here , sounds like avoiding traffic jams might be my best option . i assume youre talking about the catalytic canverter?

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Member

I'm not sure about the A 460, but on the later units there is a locating "boss" on the bottom of the transmission, approximately under the battery.

It can be drilled out for a drain and a 1/8" pipe plug installed.

Most use grease on the drill bit to catch the aluminum filings and flush after if concerned.

Also, I believe removing the lower drivers side axle seal retainer bolt allows some draining.

Most use 10/30 Engine oil in these older units.

Thanks
    Randy