NewsFiery finish for Beckman – Updated with points • The official vehicle of Canada Day • Ram leaving “big rig” look behind?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn signal switch

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Buddy Flanagan, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Buddy Flanagan

Buddy Flanagan New Member

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have an 89 Dodge Ram that my 12 year old daughter is trying to get running. It has a broken turn signal switch. Behind the switch is a triangular piece of metal that appears to be held by a pin. The metal appears aluminum in color and is shattered. How do we get that pin out and what is this piece called. Thanks

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Tilt or Non-tilt?
    This is a pictorial of the tilt column. Can you identify the part in the picture?:
    exploded view for the 1989 Dodge Pickup Tilt | Steering Column Services (at http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/exploded-view-results.php?y=1989&ma=Dodge&mo=Pickup&d=Tilt&c=6134 )

I don't have the Dodge truck shop manual, the steering column design was similar to GM's Saginaw column.
    A Mopar parts manual shows a non-tilt column in figure 19-1000 here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD1/JTI8196/90t.PDF

Does it look like item # 2 in the non-tilt picture? Google Mopar 4188934 and use this part number in your search.

3. Buddy Flanagan

It is
    A tilt wheel and it seems to be part of the cruise control assembly. It's held in place by a pin that can't be pushed out through the back or forward towards the driver. Triangular shape. Thanks

4. RalphP

RalphP Member Level 2 Supporter

From the second link ImperialCrown had, look at drawing 19-800. Like he asked, can you identify the part in the picture?

RwP

5. AllanC

AllanC Active Member

You indicated that the turn signal switch is broken. Does this mean that you can move the turn signal lever up and down but NOT activate the turn signals? Or does this mean the lever / stalk is floppy and not securely fastened?

This lever is a multi-function lever. You pull the lever towards you to change the headlights from high to low to high beam. You rotate the knob on the end of lever to activate the windshield wiper, select speed and activate intermittent operation.

At the end of the stalk are slide switches that activate and control cruise operation. If the lever is floppy then it has a broken mounting on the windshield wiper switch. Look at the picture 8K_16. It shows 2 mounting ears on the stalk that attach it to the wiper switch housing. If the ears are broken and that is all then you might be able to just replace the stalk. If the mounting area on the windshield wiper switch is broken then you will have to remove and replace the wiper switch.

These are scanned images from a service manual for a 1988 Dodge Caravan. In 1988 the Caravan was truck based so I would expect these pictures to be valid for a 1989 Dodge Ram.

Look at the images and that should give you a good idea how much work is involved. You may have to remove the steering wheel, locking plate and other items to get to that windshield wiper switch.

8K_14 follows. I will have to link for page 8K_15 and 8K_16.

8K_14 Steering Wheel Column.gif

Link to 8K_15; 8K_16

Dropbox - Dodge Ram 1989 Steering Column (at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/18gu8wf5md5bfnb/AABV01ps3BpoiDNMTMVa276sa?dl=0 )

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  6. Buddy Flanagan

Hi
    Thanks for the help. The stalk is broken at the bracket that is triangular shape. we've got the column disassembled past the turn signal switch. There is a large black piece of plastic that was held on by three screws. We took them off and now we are at this cruise control assembly bracket. I don't see the piece in the diagrams, It's a triangular piece made of "pot metal,,,,". It has a black pin holding it and the pin moves halfway up or down through the bracket. Thanks again for all the help it is appreciated

7. AllanC

AllanC Active Member

I think your terminology might make this difficult to understand. There is NOTHING in the steering column in the way of a cruise control assembly bracket. The cruise control switches are at the end of the turn signal lever stalk. There are 2 ears on the multi-function turn signal lever stalk that attach to the wiper switch. I wonder if part of the wiper switch that holds the stalk is broken? It would be valuable if you could take pictures and post them.

In the link to steering column images that I posted, look at image 8K_16. Fig 16 shows the stalk attached to the wiper switch. Does this look familiar to your setup?

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

9. djsamuel

djsamuel Active Member Level 2 Supporter

Your 12 year old daughter is trying to get this running? That is terrific!

10. Buddy Flanagan

She's pretty determined. She's changed plugs, fuel filter,air filter, plug wires, oil and oil filter, tinkered with it and actually got the beast running. She pulled the steering wheel and most of the column apart. This is her last big hurdle

Bob Lincoln and djsamuel like this.
  11. djsamuel

djsamuel Active Member Level 2 Supporter

That is really impressive.

12. Buddy Flanagan

13. NYBo

NYBo Active Member Level III Supporter

14. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

Sounds like that truck really means something to her. That is the best kind of Ram truck. Hope it gets to working for her and it lasts her a long time. Awesome!