NewsBehind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why was the PT Cruiser discontinued?

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by GottaPT, Jul 26, 2013.

1. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

Oh, I'm sure there could have been a new PT design, it just wasn't in the plans. Remember, DBAG thought it was going to be a so-so seller, turned out they were wrong. Since they sold so well, they decided to simply take the money and run, let it whither on the vine and be done with it. Their loss, our gain, then our loss.

2. duster92

duster92 Active Member

I was just thinking today that the Cherokee is a good example of what they should have done with the PT. Give it a hint of retro. Give it AWD but not all off road hardware the Cherokee has and I think you would have a nice little CUV for Chrysler. Lower it, and give it a hybrid option. Again though, I think they look to Fiat to fill that role but nobody seems to want a Fiat.

3. Brenda

Brenda Member

I was thinking DBAG as in DBAG!!! LOL!

Citation84 likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The only vehicle in the FCA arsenal that looks anything like a PT is the Lancia Ypsilon. Sadly, I don't think it would ever make it to the U.S.
    Link:
    Lancia Ypsilon - Wikipedia
    The flared fender styling is nice if it's rounded, but I didn't care for when it got angular or squared-off like the later Caliber or Dakota. The press called it a 'muscular' look.
    Retro-styled cars are nice and we should always have one in the line-up. The Challenger is well executed, but has nowhere near the value and utility like the PT had.
    Maybe we'll see some future concept cars that bring back the fun of an old-car style in a responsible, family-car way again.
    The PT was virtually the last Plymouth.

duster92 likes this.
  5. AC TC

AC TC Active Member

The PT was and still is an odd combo.
    - its practical lika any of todays "mini Voyagers". Great small family hauler...
    - it had carsima, much of it. There isnt many cars that have fanclubs...
    - it is roadworthy and fun to drive...
    - The Gt have respectabel performance...
    Ie it was a package that was practical, fun and good on the road with styling that really set it on the map...what more can you ask for?