NewsBehind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will not engage any gear

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by rwaterson67, Feb 4, 2017.

1. rwaterson67

rwaterson67 New Member

We took off the pan and changed the filter. Still no go. I did notice that the new filter seemed to have filter type material inside whereas the old one did not. Could that filter material have broken down and caused a clog somewhere?

I will look into the linkage. Would it make sense that it would pop while driving? We were in drive going up a hill when it "disengaged".

I am trying to believe that the trans has not just checked out as it was exhibiting no problems up until it just stopped engaging entirely.

2. djsamuel

djsamuel Active Member Level 2 Supporter

Hard to say. It is an easy check though, as described by Russ above. It would be worth the check just to eliminate the possibility.

3. rwaterson67

rwaterson67 New Member

Well, I took out the airbox and battery. When we move the shifter through the gears it appears to be properly moving at the transmission side. I guess the metal on the magnet in the pan was evidence of a more serious internal injury... although some is to be expected with 176K miles on the car.

I am almost resigned to the reality that this transmission is done.