NewsNew 500L launched • Updated: Engine recap • Mopar dominates Funny Car, sets records

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB: 1982-1983 Chrysler AM/FM/Cassette Stereo

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by William D., Jan 5, 2017.

1. William D.

William D. Member

Photo by Dan Foulk

Same style as the photo above. The '82-83 radio is unique in the fact that there are no plugs directly in the back of the radio to plug the harness into, rather the wiring harness comes out of the radio case to plugs in the dash. So the radio will have wiring coming out of it (6" or so) with plugs at the end.

The factory unit in mine is dead, as are most of these I'd imagine, but I'm hoping someone has a working unit out there. I'd really hate to put a single DIN aftermarket in here and rewire everything. It's too nice an original car for that. I don't know of a good location to 'hide' a modern stereo either, since there isn't anywhere under the dash to really mount it, and the glovebox is too small.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Have you opened your old one up at all? Is it completely dead?
    You could power it up with 12 volts on a bench with the covers off and look for where the power stops. Some on/off and radio/tape switches failed. Have you inserted a cassette to try the player?
    Jeremy has a nice tutorial here:
    Chrysler’s first tape decks (1980)
    Anything inexpensive on ebay?

Dave Z likes this.
  3. William D.

William D. Member

I can't imagine mine is any good. There's a noticeable amount of rust and corrosion inside the chassis, and all the buttons on the front (sand the forward/reverse buttons and knobs) 'stick' when you press them down. I'm sure it's done. It looks like it has been exposed to moisture for a good while. Everything under the dash has corrosion on it. I suspect the top was letting water in for a period of time, then couple that with time, results in this.

There are newer decks, but the connectors are entirely different, and none are 'silver faced' to match the rest of the car.

There's a really cool bluetooth box out there where I wire the speakers to it, then stream from my phone, leaving the original radio/wiring intact, but I'm not looking to spend $300 then a day rewiring everything.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

You can use a newer deck (newer being 1984 and up) with some rewiring, both for power and to the speakers, and you get a clock in the radio. The RWD Fifth Avenue is a good source for silver faced radios. Or there are some black radios with silver buttons.

5. GLHS60

GLHS60 Member

Also, there are some radio wiring conversion kits that don't need any wiring cut.

Not sure if any are available for 1982 to newer.

There were some newer factory silver faced radios/decks but they are much harder to find.

Someone somewhere mentioned installing an older face on a newer radio a while back.

I'm no radio expert, only offering suggestions.

I understand your not wanting to cut factory wiring and looking for OEM appearance.

I posted your picture for reference.

Thanks
    Randy!!
    [​IMG]

6. ImperialCrown

Unless it is a windshield seal water leak, corrosion, sand or silt inside dash components sounds eerily like a flood recovery vehicle to me.
    The faceplates and buttons/knobs can be swapped between radios.
    The newer ETR radios need a battery wire for memory and 'floating ground' speakers. Speakers that have a return side (-) common with the car body will harm the audio output ICs. The speaker return wire has to return directly to the radio speaker (-) terminal. I've done it and it can be done neatly.

7. William D.

William D. Member

I had thought about that too, but this car shows no other signs of being a flood car The corrosion is just in the dash area, but not noticeable unless you remove dash panels to see. No water stains, silt, or any of the like.

I'd be okay with swapping faceplates, but I'd still need to find a deck with the dual knob configuration.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  8. William D.

William D. Member

9. ImperialCrown

The CB needed a Tri-band antenna splitter and Tri-band antenna to operate. These are all but unobtainium now and the ones that do show up are usually priced accordingly. Still a premium option in the day and CB is still out there. A regular (separate) CB antenna could be adapted.
    The high-end (Imperial) SearchTune radios were troublesome, but working ones are also sought after:
    Blue.JPG

10. Oklahoma Wolf

Oklahoma Wolf What sanity?

This is what I would do. In fact, it's exactly what I did with the 1983 Fifth Avenue Mom used to have. Got some wiring diagrams, adapted the factory harness to use the newer black/gray connectors, rewired the speakers, and dropped in a silver faced Ultimate Sound deck (the one with the five band manual EQ). Then, I gave it a full Chrysler/Infinity audio system - dash speakers from an Intrepid, rear speakers mounted from below from a second generation Caravan. Sounded unbelievable. IIRC the factory harness did have all the wiring needed for power, both constant and ignition, I just had to rewire the speakers so they weren't wired common ground anymore.

The Ultimate Sound decks usually need someone to go through them with a soldering iron, as Mitsubishi built products from the 80s tend to have cold joints all over, but hold up well over time otherwise. My Infinity version still works like new, though it did need an amplifier IC replaced when I got it.

IMO, the old Quartz Lock decks are not really worth the trouble to repair. Even the better ones that came around in 1987-1988 or so. The ones available in 1982-1983 sounded mediocre even when they were new. They didn't have a lot of power to them and the auto reverse mechanism wears out.

11. marty mopar

marty mopar Member

have 2 radios from this period:

4222455 AM/FM STEREO RADIO,ETR (BRIGHT FACE) fits: 1982-83 C,V,F,G,Y bodies NOS 175.00

4221459 AM/FM RADIO /CASSETTE /ETR BRIGHT FACE fits: 1981-83 used untested 95.00

12. William D.

William D. Member

Hi Marty,

Can you snap a photo of the connectors on the back, and the faceplate of the NOS radio? Thank you.

13. Manny Hondroulis

Manny Hondroulis Member

Hi Marty, are either of these units still available?

14. marty mopar

marty mopar Member

yes they are

will send you a PM

15. marty mopar

marty mopar Member