cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Code PO 456

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jagawar

Jagawar
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 at 05:20 pm

2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3 engine mileage 101k The CK engine light is drivin me Mad.. I have sent it to the Dealer who suposed to have smoke tested it and found nothing. It is intermittent , it will sometimes stay out a week and then sometimes a day .. Code PO456 small emissions leak.. Has Anyone experienced the same prob? Please Help . :(

#2 chryslertech766

chryslertech766
  • Inactive
  • 482 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 at 06:47 pm

if its not leaking, then it probably needs a leak detection pump or a purge selinod.

#3 t2erns

t2erns
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 at 08:32 pm

are you sure the dealer smoked it and found nothing? there are also independent shops that are capable of smoke testing the evaporative system. there's also a tsb regarding the erroneous setting of this code TSB 18-028-03 that involves replacing the pcm (if there's no leak indeed)
excerp from the tsb:
SUBJECT:
MIL Illumination, Erroneous DTC P0456 - Evap Leak Monitor 0.020 Leak Detected
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves diagnosing an erroneous Evap Leak Monitor (DTC) P0456 and replacing
the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) if necessary.
MODELS:
2001 - **2003** (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager (Domestic Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2001 and 2002 vehicles equipped with a 2.4L, 3.3L and
3.8L engine (sales code EDZ, EGA, EGH or EGM), **and 2003 vehicles equipped
with 3.3L and 3.8L engine (sales codes EGA, EGH or EGM).**
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Vehicle with properly functioning evaporative emissions system repeatedly sets DTC P0456
when customer regularly commutes on a steep grade (downgrades in excess of 10%).

#4 dlstarry

dlstarry
  • Inactive
  • 17 posts

Posted May 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm

MODELS:
NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2001 and 2002 vehicles equipped with a 2.4L, 3.3L and

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan with 3.3L engine, could you tell me where to find the
sales codes you talk about in this message ?

Thank You

#5 t2erns

t2erns
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 20, 2008 at 06:25 pm

MODELS:

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan with 3.3L engine, could you tell me where to find the
sales codes you talk about in this message ?

Thank You

those sales codes are for engine codes (you can also find it in the vin plate)
Engine Code
EDZ = 2.4L 4 cyl. 16-Valve DOHC Gasoline (MPI)
EGA = 3.3L 6 cyl. Gasoline (SMPI)
EGH = 3.8L 6 cyl. Gasoline (SMPI)
EGM = 3.3L 6 cyl. Ethanol Flexible Fuel

#6 dlstarry

dlstarry
  • Inactive
  • 17 posts

Posted May 20, 2008 at 09:17 pm

Thank You

#7 Bobmob

Bobmob
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted November 8, 2008 at 03:52 am

MOST LIKELY ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM

2002 T&C limited 3.8 65kI got this tip from a previous post and mine was exactly as the previous post described. Kept getting ck eng light with p456 code(Small EVAP leak). Tried new fuel cap, no help. Located EVAP canister under vehicle. There are 2 rubber hoses connected to the rear side. One of the hoses, I think the passenger side, was cracked where it connected to the cannister. It appears the hose is a little too small for the cannister port and it cracked over time. I just cut off the cracked portion with a razor blade and reconnected it. Havent had a ck eng light since.Update: Light came on again, P455. The hose cracked again so I replaced the entire hose with a much thicker walled one. This is clearly a design flaw, the original hose is too thin and the inside diameter is too small. It's sure to fail within 3 years....

#8 jimmy-ny

jimmy-ny
  • Inactive
  • 13 posts

Posted November 8, 2008 at 09:56 am

I don't know if this helps, but I had a very very deteriorated hose right near the purge solenoid on my Pacifica. I have older cars with hoses much older than the hose at the purge solenoid, yet this thing was cracked and split all over the place. Dry rotted.

There is a test port T right at the purge solenoid on the Pacifica. 5/16" I replaced it with a small piece of old fashioed rubber 5/16 fuel hose, slightly tightened the cap on the test port T and cleared the codes. Trouble gone.

But I also checked under the car (to be 100% sure) and inspected the canister hoses. Suprisingly, being more exposed to the elements than the hose above, these hoses were fine. I also inspected the hose from the filler tube to the gas tank. That looked fine as well.

Bottom line for me was the incredibly deteriorated hose at the purge solenoid. And I am just wondering as this is where the smoke enters the system for the smoke test (I believe) perhaps he overlooked an inspection at that point/area?

Jim

Edited by jimmy-ny, November 8, 2008 at 09:59 am.

#9 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,755 posts

Posted November 8, 2008 at 10:01 am

These can be intermittant and frustrating. Was there a leak but they just couldn't find where the smoke was coming from or was the system air-tight when they tested it? There was another TSB (#25-001-02A) for an intermittant LDP vent valve leak and like BOBMOB sez: Make sure there are no cracked hoses, after a few years they will dry-rot and split at the ends. The plastic lines are usually good unless they rub-through on something. Also we're seeing filler tube rust-through on these. It is behind the LR inner fender splash sheild and the smoke won't be visible to the tech.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.