cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

98 Caravan rusted strut repair

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 ahutson98

ahutson98
  • 47 posts

Posted June 18, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Hi,
I have a van that the driver's side strut tower is rusted half way around the tower. Both inner and outer parts are rusted (strut is starting to come through). I have the dealer cap, SEM 39747 adhesive, and rust converter. I didnt buy the repair kit that the dealer has. I need the instructions that come with it. Has anyone seen a cap to repair the inner part of the strut tower? Any help would be appreciated.
Al

#2 Andreb

Andreb
  • Inactive
  • 15 posts

Posted June 19, 2008 at 06:52 pm

I did the driver side strut towers on my 96 about 6 weeks ago. Here's a link to a post about how I did it, there should be enough details to help you to figure it out. I did use 3/8 grade 8 bolts instead of rivets, but I guess that it'll be pretty much the same job.

http://www.allpar.co...&...st&p=952439

#3 ahutson98

ahutson98
  • 47 posts

Posted June 19, 2008 at 09:46 pm

Thanks Andreb for the input. You didn't strengthen around holes where the strut mounts to (the bottom piece)?
Al

#4 Andreb

Andreb
  • Inactive
  • 15 posts

Posted June 20, 2008 at 08:20 pm

Thanks Andreb for the input. You didn't strengthen around holes where the strut mounts to (the bottom piece)?
Al

on mine I didn't had to, the sheet metal was still healthy around the holes... I guess you could stick some big bumper washers over the holes between the bottom piece and the top piece to stenghten that area.

if there's too much sheet metal missing from the bottom part, you might need to fabricate a part that will go under the bottom piece and use some bolt to sandwich the stock strut tower between the new top piece and your self fabricated piece.

#5 ahutson98

ahutson98
  • 47 posts

Posted June 20, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Thanks again for the input. I know more when I take the strut.
Al

#6 maxi

maxi
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted July 6, 2008 at 05:19 pm

http://www.cardomain.../ride/2203948/4

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.