cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Semaphore Turn Signal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dodgeboy49

Dodgeboy49
  • 667 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 at 03:18 pm

One of the old Dodge trucks out in the driveway has the remains of a semaphore turn signal hanging from the left side of the cab. There is a lever in the cab over the door that has three positions- I assume it was connected by a cable to the arm. Moving the lever forward would seem to raise the arm from straight down to straight out (probably left turn). Moving the lever further would bring the arm straight up (probably right turn). The arm is cone shaped with a transparent plastic insert (hard telling what color it was- probably amber) that was illuminated from inside.

I picked up another apparatus at a yard sale today, and between the two, I have enough pieces to build one complete unit. What I would like to know is, would the semaphore arm have been illuminated anytime the headlights were on or would there have been a separate switch? I've found a few trucks equipped with these here and there but the wiring was always destroyed or disconnected.

Assuming I manage to repair and install the thing, I wonder if anyone nowdays would know what it is for?

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,785 posts

Posted August 17, 2008 at 05:46 am

I'm trying to get more information on these as well. I would think a 'blinking' semaphore would be the way to go. Many of these were dealer installed or aftermarket 'add-on' accessories. The same for early turn-signal technology on cars that had parking lights that could be converted to support turn-signals. Not all states adopted this safety feature until later. Agricultural-use trucks probably were exempt from safety laws for these until much later than that.

Edited by ImperialCrown, August 17, 2008 at 01:57 pm.

#3 Dodgeboy49

Dodgeboy49
  • 667 posts

Posted August 17, 2008 at 03:55 pm

That would be simple to wire up, and the blink would attract attention to the signal whereas a steady light might not be noticed. A blink might also alert less knowledgable drivers that this wierd arrow-thing is actually a turn signal.

By the way, my internet searches have turned up very little. However, I have just looked at my signal again and noted that it was made by the Detroit Product Co. and is marked No. 221 E.C.D. I'm going to do some searching along those lines and I'll post back if I discover more.

Edited by Dodgeboy49, August 17, 2008 at 03:55 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.