cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

2006 Pt Cruiser Charging System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 neoplanman

neoplanman
  • 51 posts

Posted October 12, 2008 at 11:28 am

Hi everybody. My mother just called me with a problem with her car. She like me, has a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring. Her charging system light came on while she was driving. I had her pull over, turn the car off and let it sit for a few minutes, then start it back up and she told me the light had gone off. So far, she hasn't called me back and said that the light has come back on yet. Does anybody have any ideas? She'll be driving approx an hour and a half to get home from where she is right now. I told her that she should be ok to drive the car that distance, just make sure that the radio and blower fan is turned off and NOT to stop the engine until she gets here. I'm not sure how chrysler determines a charging system problem, as with most vehicles, the battery light will remain on until the vehicle is running, but I know that with the past few cars that i've had, the light just comes on a s a bulb check and goes off, different from the rest of the majority of vehicles.

Thanks for any input
Boyd

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,779 posts

Posted October 12, 2008 at 11:57 am

Like the 'ck eng' light, the battery warning icon should also have a fault code stored in the PCM about a stored or active charging fault. If the icon is off, a code should be stored. Maybe the 'key dance' would display a 'P' fault in the odometer? I agree that we would not want her stranded from this.

#3 neoplanman

neoplanman
  • 51 posts

Posted October 12, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Like the 'ck eng' light, the battery warning icon should also have a fault code stored in the PCM about a stored or active charging fault. If the icon is off, a code should be stored. Maybe the 'key dance' would display a 'P' fault in the odometer? I agree that we would not want her stranded from this.

Thanks for the reply, I will try the key dance when she gets here...amongst a quick voltage check with my DMM. Then tomorrow, either I will or i'll have my mother take it down to the dealer to get the StarScan hooked up to it quick and see if there's a problem. I'll post the code(s) here if any when I get them.

Thanks
Boyd

#4 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,469 posts

Posted October 12, 2008 at 12:19 pm

It could be nothing more than battery cable corrosion.

#5 neoplanman

neoplanman
  • 51 posts

Posted October 12, 2008 at 12:34 pm

It could be nothing more than battery cable corrosion.

I'll check that too, but unless something drastic happened, the last time I looked at the battery it was as clean as it was the day we first brought it home new.

#6 neoplanman

neoplanman
  • 51 posts

Posted October 12, 2008 at 01:07 pm

I'll check that too, but unless something drastic happened, the last time I looked at the battery it was as clean as it was the day we first brought it home new.

Just an update. The battery light never came on again on her way here, checked the codes P063A was the only code present. I checked her charging voltage with my DMM, it was reading between 14.3-14.4 which compared to my cruiser was almost .6V higher. Any ideas on what the code means?

Thanks
Boyd

#7 chryslertech766

chryslertech766
  • Inactive
  • 482 posts

Posted October 12, 2008 at 06:03 pm

There is a TSB for that code

TSB #18-007-07

SUBJECT:

Flash: Driveability Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new
software.

MODELS:
2005 - 2007 (PT) PT Cruiser

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before January 22, 2007 (MDH0122XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A number of improvements have been made to address the following:

1. 2006/2007 Models with 2.4L Turbo / Manual Transmission — Surge during light to
moderate throttle acceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear following a cold start.

2. 2006/2007 Models with Automatic Transmission — Shift Quality Improvement for 1 - 2
upshift (low speed) bump.

3. 2006/2007 Models with Automatic Transmission — Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
P0573 - Brake Switch #1 Circuit High. This may be set if the vehicle gets physically
stuck in a slippery condition and while trying to get the vehicle unstuck is rocked back
and forth (transmission shifted drive to reverse to drive) without pressing the brake
pedal.

4. 2006/2007 Models — Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P063A - Generator Voltage
Sense Circuit (Intermittent Generator Lamp Illumination).

5. 2005/2006/2007 Models with 2.4L Turbo — Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P2074
MAP/TPS Correllation.

NUMBER: 18-007-07

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: February 1, 2007

DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN® or DRBIII®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures
available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine/transmission systems are functioning as
designed. If DTC's other than those listed above are present record them on the repair
order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes and of the symptoms or if the technician finds any of the DTC's,
perform the Repair Procedure.

#8 neoplanman

neoplanman
  • 51 posts

Posted October 12, 2008 at 06:34 pm

There is a TSB for that code

TSB #18-007-07

SUBJECT:

Flash: Driveability Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new
software.

MODELS:
2005 - 2007 (PT) PT Cruiser

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before January 22, 2007 (MDH0122XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A number of improvements have been made to address the following:

1. 2006/2007 Models with 2.4L Turbo / Manual Transmission — Surge during light to
moderate throttle acceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear following a cold start.

2. 2006/2007 Models with Automatic Transmission — Shift Quality Improvement for 1 - 2
upshift (low speed) bump.

3. 2006/2007 Models with Automatic Transmission — Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
P0573 - Brake Switch #1 Circuit High. This may be set if the vehicle gets physically
stuck in a slippery condition and while trying to get the vehicle unstuck is rocked back
and forth (transmission shifted drive to reverse to drive) without pressing the brake
pedal.

4. 2006/2007 Models — Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P063A - Generator Voltage
Sense Circuit (Intermittent Generator Lamp Illumination).

5. 2005/2006/2007 Models with 2.4L Turbo — Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P2074
MAP/TPS Correllation.

NUMBER: 18-007-07

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: February 1, 2007

DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN® or DRBIII®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures
available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine/transmission systems are functioning as
designed. If DTC's other than those listed above are present record them on the repair
order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes and of the symptoms or if the technician finds any of the DTC's,
perform the Repair Procedure.

Great, thanks, I really appreciate it. I took the car out for a little ride earlier and the light was off for the first portion of the trip, then after I made a stop and started it up again within a few minutes the light was back on...voltage reading right around 14.2V, so at that point it wasn't as much of a concern for me. I've got to bring my cruiser into the shop for some service tomorrow, i'll see if I can get my mom's in there at the same time and have the PCM flashed.

Thanks
Boyd

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.