cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

2002 Intrepid Cam Sensor Code P0340

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 ygdude

ygdude
  • 386 posts

Posted February 2, 2009 at 09:39 am

Hello.

The last couple of days I've had a bit of a stumble/hesitation while driving my 2002 Intrepid 3.5L w/106000 miles. Almost acted like it wasn't getting gas but had plenty. Stopped and got gas and breakfast this morning and had to do quite a bit of cranking to get it started. Also a lot of hesitation especially when giving a moderate amount of gas pedal. Also got the check engine light and the cruise control wouldn't come on this morning.

I looks like code P0340 is for the camshaft position sensor circuit? What does this mean? WHat/where should I check to fix this?

What happens if this completely fails?

Thanks for the help!

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,780 posts

Posted February 2, 2009 at 09:47 am

The cam sensor is next to the left(driver's side) cam sprocket with a 3-wire connector and a single fastener holding it. Was that the only code? Check that the wiring hasn't rubbed through anywhere.

#3 ygdude

ygdude
  • 386 posts

Posted February 2, 2009 at 10:00 am

The cam sensor is next to the left(driver's side) cam sprocket with a 3-wire connector and a single fastener holding it. Was that the only code? Check that the wiring hasn't rubbed through anywhere.

That was the only code this morning. In the past I've had, off and on again, a code for one of the O2 sensors reading wrong (rich I think).

#4 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,780 posts

Posted February 2, 2009 at 10:55 am

There is a TSB # 18-031-02 for false O2 codes on vehicles built before 4-18-02. It is a PCM flash.

#5 tlewis

tlewis
  • 61 posts

Posted February 2, 2009 at 01:19 pm

You might want to get that fixed, my '04 300M died within a few miles of that error code being set. The good news is that if you want to do it yourself, it is not that bad, if you don't mind unbolting the intake manifold enough to get clearance to change the sensor out.

#6 ygdude

ygdude
  • 386 posts

Posted February 2, 2009 at 01:45 pm

Thanks.

Where did you find the sensor? NAPA? How much were they??

#7 135SoHc

135SoHc
  • 2,790 posts

Posted February 2, 2009 at 02:02 pm

Advance auto, napa, dealer ect

Ours is on its 3rd one. The original went bad, then the new mopar one and now I've got one from advance auto BWD brand in there. dealer one was $55

advance $40 or so

About an hour to change it if you've never done one before

#8 ygdude

ygdude
  • 386 posts

Posted February 4, 2009 at 07:55 am

Thanks. I looked at the Haynes manual last night. It says to remove the upper air plenum and I see you at least need to pick it up out of the way to get the sensor out. Do you have to take everything off of the upper air plenum to move it enough to change the CAM sensor or do you just remove completely? I presume you have to lift it up high enough to at least change the gasket after its broken loose.

thanks.

#9 135SoHc

135SoHc
  • 2,790 posts

Posted February 4, 2009 at 09:11 am

You just need to lift it high enough to get that sensor out. There should be enough slack in all the wires that you dont need to unplug everything.
The gasket is reusable, just make sure the intake is sitting correctly and bolt it back down.

#10 droogy

droogy
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted July 8, 2009 at 08:49 pm

I'm experiencing similar symptoms, I've had the Camshaft sensor changed twice during the life of my 2003 Intrepid (currently 120,000 kms). P0340 and P0344.

I read somewhere on the net that this may also be a timing belt issue, is this a real possibility? Should I simply change the sensor first and see if it continues to pop up?

I think it's important to note that it's not a constant code. It will trip, after 3 starts light goes away, then a few weeks later it comes back. The intermittent nature of the codes means wiring issue or does this mean timing belt issue?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.