Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Keyless Entry 99 Grand Caravan Se

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 scooterodell (converted)

scooterodell (converted)
  • Guests

Posted March 19, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I just picked up a 99 Grand Caravan SE. It's got a lot of features, including power locks. I only received one key with it and no keyless entry fobs. Does anyone know if this vehicle would have originally come with fobs, and if it's possible to get a used one (eBay) to work with it?

#2 barfan1

barfan1
  • Inactive
  • 33 posts

Posted March 19, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I just bought an OEM remote for our 2000 Grand Voyager on ebay 2 weeks ago for $1.76, it was brand new! As long as you have one working transmitter you can program any new ones you buy without having to go to the dealer. Just search on this website, the procedure is here, that is where i found it.

#3 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,941 posts

Posted March 19, 2009 at 01:15 pm

I guess, first you should have a dealer run the VIN to make sure it really has the keyless option.

Then search out a couple remotes on eBay. You'll have to take the remote(s) and the van to a dealer to get them to program at least one. Once you have one working you can program the second. Or if the dealer charges the same for multiples, have the dealer program both.

I think it can support up to four remotes.

#4 Philip

Philip
  • 382 posts

Posted March 19, 2009 at 03:02 pm

I believe if there is no key lock cylinders on the sliding doors than you have the keyless remote option.

#5 Beans

Beans
  • 1,064 posts

Posted March 19, 2009 at 03:11 pm

I guess, first you should have a dealer run the VIN to make sure it really has the keyless option.

Then search out a couple remotes on eBay. You'll have to take the remote(s) and the van to a dealer to get them to program at least one. Once you have one working you can program the second. Or if the dealer charges the same for multiples, have the dealer program both.

I think it can support up to four remotes.

What Valiant67 says + you could do the following.
Get out of the van
As you are getting out, hit the power door lock button (to lock)
close the door and stand there.
Looking through the window, if after about 20 seconds, you see a light start flashing in the dash telling you the security system is arming, then you have a vehicle that came with a remote - I'm pretty sure if you have locks and the security system - you get the remote.

Of course, you could have the security system and its disabled.
There's some weird thing you can do with the hood up - the engine running and playing with the tailgate lock to enable/disable the alarm.

Personally though - I'd take Valiant67's advice and call the dealer.
If you were to ask the parts department for a remote for your van, and they looked up your vin, and your van never had a remote, there wouldn't be a remote listed for your van -- I think that's how the whole thing works...

An easier way with the alarm arming may just be to roll down the window first.
Then step out of the van hitting the lock button (has to be the power lock button - not the manual lock)
Then after thirty seconds or a minute - reach in and pull up on the manual lock button and see if the alarm goes off...
-beans

#6 Philip

Philip
  • 382 posts

Posted March 19, 2009 at 04:58 pm

What Valiant67 says + you could do the following.
Get out of the van
As you are getting out, hit the power door lock button (to lock)
close the door and stand there.
Looking through the window, if after about 20 seconds, you see a light start flashing in the dash telling you the security system is arming, then you have a vehicle that came with a remote - I'm pretty sure if you have locks and the security system - you get the remote.

I have a remote keyless entry without a factory security system. They were two seperate options.

#7 stevenspeaking

stevenspeaking
  • 209 posts

Posted March 28, 2009 at 09:20 pm

scooterodell,
E-mail me your VIN. I will send you a build sheet for you van. That will let you know which options you have.
Steven

#8 scooterodell (converted)

scooterodell (converted)
  • Guests

Posted April 8, 2009 at 08:33 am

FYI, after running the VIN, the van does have keyless entry. There is no security light on the van, but the rear doors do not have keyed locks, either.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.