cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

C-bodies! I Want Poormans Headers On My 383!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 1968NewportCustom

1968NewportCustom
  • 135 posts

Posted April 23, 2009 at 07:43 am

Thanks Polara68! Been happy with my C-Body other than getting denied for parts at every turn.

So I want to continue the question with will it work for a BB 383?? Jegs said no. So did Summit. People will not sell me the pipes to clamp on by myself cause there are no part numbers.

One place here will make turn downs (I called them downpipes but was corrected by exhaust mechanic) for $30 each. Or...

Headers from Hedman are $160 but do not list C-Body application for a Newport. I look at the listing and say if an E body and B Body have room for them why don't I?? I have room for everything in the car and 12 hookers in the trunk but I can't get Headers? Really.

Please tell me 383 hedman headers will fit... I can afford $160 but not $700 for fancy headers.

Yes looked @ TTI, but $841?!?! I just ate breakfast, not funny. So why can't the headers that fit the models listed below cram into a C body?

"B & E Bodies 1962-74,
Barracuda 1970-74,
Belvedere 1967-74,
Challenger 1970-74,
Charger 1966-74,
Roadrunner Sebring Satellite Super Bee 1967-74,
361-440 ci.,
1-3/4'' Tubes 3'' Collector
500-78030 "

#2 Trailmaster

Trailmaster

Move Over Plymouth Aproaching Rapidly

• Others:Forum Leader
  • 2,061 posts

Posted April 23, 2009 at 04:28 pm

Headers from Hedman are $160 but do not list C-Body application for a Newport. I look at the listing and say if an E body and B Body have room for them why don't I?? I have room for everything in the car and 12 hookers in the trunk but I can't get Headers? Really.

Speaking of Hookers, Hooker Headers used to have a kit that you could use to make your own headers for anything. they came with the head flanges and collecters, all you had to do was get the tube bent and weld it up.

#3 Rodger

Rodger
  • Inactive
  • 1,125 posts

Posted April 27, 2009 at 07:11 pm

Erik

I just re-read your statment about you are keeping the 2 bbl
to save on gas. Interesting ...

Do you want the headers to gain power ? Do you want the
headers to gain on MPG ??

Rodger & Gabby
COS

#4 1968NewportCustom

1968NewportCustom
  • 135 posts

Posted April 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Erik

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Can't afford the $509 for the Hookers the local MOPAR guys found in the book. Having downpipes fabricated. I wanted headers cause if they were $150 like I found for the Hedmans for E bodies it would be not much more money and an upgrade.

(Learned the cheap muffler shop guys know more. The guy at Monroe, where I will never step foot into again, said I wanted turn downs when I described what I wanted. Then jacked up my car the following day and told me I wanted downpipes. Might have been a little rude when he told me that and told me it would be $100 more a side than he quoted. He also flooded my car then gunned it and blew carbon when he started it. Had some words for him, which I didn't say cause my son was with me.)

I am ditching the 2BBL soon. I get paid mileage so it matters little. I found a dual quad from a 1961, but my problem is they are so close together on the intake! Trying to figure out if I should buy old and rebuild for that 1961 carb feeling on my '68 or cough up the wads of cash for new...

Erik

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Bluntly: Gain on power.

#5 Rodger

Rodger
  • Inactive
  • 1,125 posts

Posted April 28, 2009 at 11:27 am

Erik

If you are looking for a "gain on power", a "better-ment of
the MPG", the smog testing station to "pass you" and you
want to "manage your funds", think of this .

Your local NAPA Auto Parts Store has a # 22390 dual in-let
/single out-let muffler. The muffler uses the same space
as the original muffler.

Since the power robbing "y" pipe is no longer to be used,
your dyno will show the power is now higher.

The in-side diameter of the 383 or 440 Exhaust Manifolds
is the same from the manifold to the muffler.

This is not a bench racing idea of mine. Check with several
muffler shops and a dyno shop or two and you will learn
that all the mfg's use this set-up. The "Go Fast" Durango's
and the like Dakota's with the 5.9L's use this ( with cat's )
( The 5.9L Durango, the 5.9L Dakota and the Dodge V10's
use a version that only has a dual 2 inch in-let diameter ).

Hmmmmn

Rodger & Gabby
COS

#6 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted April 28, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Headers are not really going to do much for your C because of the weight and fact you will never run the car in the rpm range that really make headers work. If you have the good performance exhaust manifolds, run three inch pipes if you want some rumble (the maximum to be effective is the inside diameter of your dumps on the exhaust manifolds), and my factory hipo exhaust manifolds are three inches. Do dual pipes all the way back, an H pipe at the rear of the bell housing and you will have one hot sounding and actually hot performing engine, and below the 5300rpm range (when your lifters will float or valve springs can rev to) you will only be losing between one and three percent over headers anyway. In other words, if you can't find or make headers yourself, you will not be able to physically notice the difference in breathing/hp and torque in a car as heavy as a C without the assistance of a dyno.

Make sure the exhaust system is mandrel bent, not a factory replacement setup, and you will be happy with what you get, and yes, even stock crimp bent factory 2.25 or 2.5 inch exhaust is no match for the three inch system (and it will rumble, believe me, my 361 B block in my 68 Charger was loud, the 440 is about the same. Can't set off car alarms like I can in a parking lot with my Nash, but it is still a strong rumble.

Edited by dana44, April 28, 2009 at 11:45 pm.

#7 Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill

325,000+ miles and counting...

• Supermen
  • Others:Forum Leader, Superfriend
  • 29,380 posts

Posted April 29, 2009 at 11:43 am

^+1 What he said.....

I had a '62 Chrysler 300. I put on 440 heads, a 4 bbl intake and carb and the 440 magnum exhaust manifolds. This was all back in the mid to late '70s before X pipes or H pipes were popular.

If you installed some larger exhaust manifolds and a dual exhaust system of a size which makes sense with the X or H pipe setup you'll get far far better exhaust flow performance than you have now. In fact with this setup you may find that your intake setup would become a bottle neck.

#8 Dan R.

Dan R.
  • 520 posts

Posted May 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I had an E body that I tried headers on. The power steering box is so large on that car with so little room in the area that two pipes had to pass under the driver side tie rod, believe it or not. Very vulnerable to damage. I don't remember the brand they were.

I have to agree that the biggest advantage I saw in headers was at higher RPMs.

#9 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted May 13, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Try sandersonsheaders.com, they have shorty headers that will work, but theyare $325, and are probably only slightly better than stock performance exhaust manifolds.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.