cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Axle Tag Decoding

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 135SoHc

135SoHc
  • 2,790 posts

Posted June 15, 2009 at 02:26 pm

Found two tags on the diff cover. I was only expecting one tag for the ratio but found a 2nd one hidden under all the rust and grease.

one says 0759 and the other 3.2

assume the 3.2 is the ratio code for 3.21 since that seems to be a common ratio in these axles. but I have no idea what the other is supposed to mean ?

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,755 posts

Posted June 15, 2009 at 05:07 pm

It could be the Julian date: 75th day of 1979.

#3 135SoHc

135SoHc
  • 2,790 posts

Posted June 15, 2009 at 09:14 pm

That would directly correspond to the build date of mid march

#4 bguy

bguy
  • 1,310 posts

Posted June 27, 2009 at 10:58 am

I'd almost bet money your axle ratio is a 2.94. IIRC my old 87 B250 had a 3.2 tag and I was quite suprised when the ratio inside was actually 2.94. The gears are actually stamped with the ratio. I wondered then if the 3.2 referred to the overall final drive ratio between tranny and axle.

#5 135SoHc

135SoHc
  • 2,790 posts

Posted June 27, 2009 at 11:58 am

I found the equipment tag in the glovebox a few days ago. one of the things it included was "RR axle 3.21"

#6 bguy

bguy
  • 1,310 posts

Posted June 27, 2009 at 02:03 pm

Yup. Mine was same. My label was under the hood I believe. The axle may have been changed, but it still had that 3.2 tag on it!! Go figure. <_<

#7 Trailmaster

Trailmaster

Move Over Plymouth Aproaching Rapidly

• Others:Forum Leader
  • 2,061 posts

Posted June 30, 2009 at 01:58 am

Used to see that sometimes in the wrecking yard. I think sometimes when people change the rear axle or ratios out, they just stick the old tag back on.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.