cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Check Engine Light (p0442 And P0455)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 stu & morpar

stu & morpar
  • 107 posts

Posted June 19, 2009 at 01:05 pm

Hi
I am having a problem with my 1999 Dodge Neon RT. It's has the Check Engine Light on and the codes are P0442 and P0455. I have tried to replace the gas cap with one from Advance Auto, and then clear the codes. The Check Engine Light will come back on after about 150 miles and the codes are still P0442 and P0455. I have looked for cracks in the rubber tubing, no luck. Should I try a gas cap from the dealer? I really don't want to take this car to the shop for this problem when I can fix it myself.
Thanks
Stu

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,781 posts

Posted June 19, 2009 at 03:21 pm

There is an evaporative leak somewhere in the system. Does your Neon have the LDP pump or the newer NVLD detector. It will show which one you have on the vacuum hose diagram sticker under the hood. The early NVLD's were a common failure.
You shouldn't be able to blow through the cap, it should be air-tight. Check for any dry-rotted/cracked rubber hose (usually at the ends)from the tank to the canister in the right front corner of the car up to the purge solenoid under the hood. If your filler tube is rusting out, you should see wetness and get a fuel odor after a fill-up. It only takes a pin-hole to set the code.

#3 stu & morpar

stu & morpar
  • 107 posts

Posted June 25, 2009 at 01:03 pm

There is an evaporative leak somewhere in the system. Does your Neon have the LDP pump or the newer NVLD detector. It will show which one you have on the vacuum hose diagram sticker under the hood. The early NVLD's were a common failure.
You shouldn't be able to blow through the cap, it should be air-tight. Check for any dry-rotted/cracked rubber hose (usually at the ends)from the tank to the canister in the right front corner of the car up to the purge solenoid under the hood. If your filler tube is rusting out, you should see wetness and get a fuel odor after a fill-up. It only takes a pin-hole to set the code.

Thanks for help, But I can't find the symbol LDP pump or NVLD detector on the sticker. If this is any help it has on the sticker Duty Cycle Purge Solenoid. I have now replaced the gas cap with a new on from the Dealer and cleared the codes.
Thanks again
Stu

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.