Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Problem With 3.5l Fuel Injector Rails / Lines / O-rings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 ckrobins

ckrobins
  • 79 posts

Posted July 9, 2009 at 09:36 am

I'm trying to revive a 1997 Dodge Intrepid with a 3.5L V6

The initial problem was a leak at the front of the passenger side fuel injection rail - where the fuel line connects to it

The rails for this engine are made of thermoset plastic (Siemens manufactured them, and they probably saved a dollar or two for Chrysler over making them from aluminum)

The part of the fuel rail that holds the clip that retains the fuel line and it's o-ring seal was broken, so there was nothing maintaining pressure on the o-ring to seal in the fuel.

I checked with our local FLAPS (O'Reilly, Advance Auto, Autozone - our local forum's acronym for friendly local auto parts store)) and the fuel rails and o-rings aren't listed in the inventory.
We no longer have a Chrysler Dealer in town and the closest one to me is a Ford dealer that has taken over parts and service for the local dealer who's 20 miles away. They were willing to sell the entire system to me for $400+, which is, frankly, more than the car is likely worth at this point.

It turns out that these were a recall item by 1998, so I'm sure this wasn't the only Intrepid that had problems.

Is there an aftermarket source for these fuel rails?

I visited our local boneyard and found a replacement fuel rail (approx. $30) and replaced it - I have a leak at the same point on the driver's side fuel rail then.

Our FLAPS didn't stock any fuel resistant o-rings - except for the ones that are for the fuel injectors themselves and they are not the right size.

Is there an aftermarket source for these o-ring seals?

The rear fuel lines appear to be different diameters than the front, and it looks like all the o-rings that I took out were unalike, so what size(s) of o-rings should I be shopping for?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,944 posts

Posted July 9, 2009 at 09:55 am

The rails for this engine are made of thermoset plastic (Siemens manufactured them, and they probably saved a dollar or two for Chrysler over making them from aluminum)

As the prior owner of a 1991 Imperial with a leaky aluminum fuel rail, it isn't just the plastic material that was a problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have the parts book that include the LH cars. But an online site such as Moparpartsamerica.com lets you browse the 1997 Intrepid parts. The rail and associated parts are under Fuel System -> Fuel Induction -> Fuel Injection.

#3 Tom Dawson

Tom Dawson

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy it."

• 1,077 posts

Posted July 9, 2009 at 11:35 am

I could be wrong on which fuel rail it is but, your Intrepid had a recall on the 3.5L engine for a fuel leak at the rail and I think the pssenger side rail was replaced if the rail was cracked or leaking at the time of the recall. The fix was to add reinforcement to a couple of areas of the fuel rail(which really did not work too well IMHO) ALL FOR FREE RECALLS ARE A FREE FIX. I would check with a Chrysler dealer and see if your car was repaired yet under the recall, if not the get it fixed ASAP.
Tom

#4 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 12,244 posts

Posted July 9, 2009 at 05:17 pm

The right fuel rail and o-rings were covered under recall #790. We would reinforce the rt. rail if it wasn't leaking and replace it if it was leaking. Have the dealer run the last 8 of your VIN to see if this recall was performed.

#5 ckrobins

ckrobins
  • 79 posts

Posted July 9, 2009 at 06:21 pm

I will contact the dealer with the VIN and check on whether the recall service work has been performed.

If I can get the recall work performed by the dealer, that is the route I will go.

If I can't get the work done under the recall, this is plan B:

The right rail is holding fuel and it is the left rail or its o-rings that won't hold fuel.

If the left rail has failed also, I will replace it the same way I did for right rail by getting the other rail from the same derelict in the boneyard

I've found a source of supply for fluorosilicone o-rings, but I would like to know what O.D., I.D, and thickness(es) I should be getting for this job

Even the dealer's part counter couldn't look this information up for me when I called today

#6 jeeppa

jeeppa
  • 9 posts

Posted July 10, 2009 at 08:01 pm

I will contact the dealer with the VIN and check on whether the recall service work has been performed.

If I can get the recall work performed by the dealer, that is the route I will go.

If I can't get the work done under the recall, this is plan B:

The right rail is holding fuel and it is the left rail or its o-rings that won't hold fuel.

If the left rail has failed also, I will replace it the same way I did for right rail by getting the other rail from the same derelict in the boneyard

I've found a source of supply for fluorosilicone o-rings, but I would like to know what O.D., I.D, and thickness(es) I should be getting for this job

Even the dealer's part counter couldn't look this information up for me when I called today

With o rings, 1/2 the difference between the id and the od is actually the thickness of the ring. Think about it. You have to measure the ring groove with calipers or something like that and measure the id of the "goes-inta" part for the od

#7 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 12,244 posts

Posted July 11, 2009 at 06:20 am

The fuel o-rings actually rest on lands and shoulders as they are installed into the rail. There is a certain amount of 'squish' as they are pushed together and require a viscous lube so they don't roll during re-assembly. I am unsure of the composition and size of the o-rings, but I would only want to use the ones that Chrysler provided.
I am confident that this will be a covered repair, even if it shows to have been performed before. I have had to repeat recall # 790 on 3.5 L LH cars where they were shown as done before

#8 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • 25,779 posts

Posted July 13, 2009 at 09:36 am

http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/ and on the left side of the screen under RECALLS, put the last 8 digits of your VIN and you can check for yourself if it was done. If not, you have a free repair coming to you.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.