Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

2000 Neon, No Crank, No Start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom B (converted)

Tom B (converted)
  • Guests

Posted August 1, 2009 at 08:50 pm

2000 Neon. 136K on the clock. My son drives the car. The other night, it just died all of a sudden at a slow speed. He was driving down a friend's driveway. The only caveat to that event was that it was very low on fuel. He said "below the red mark." They put in a couple gallons but it still would not crank or anything. Lights come on and everything else works. Good battery voltage. We've been procrastinating on doing the dreaded timing belt job so my first thought was that the belt went and the car went into shutdown. Today we tore it apart and the belt was fine along with the valve timing. We changed out the belt anyway and a new water pump while in there. The valve timing is definately spot on still. It's not the first time I've done an overhead cam belt. Anyway, it still won't crank or start. We assumed it wouldn't but did the work since it needed it anyway. I have metered everything from the ignition switch to the power distribution center and there is power. There is no power to the coil pack with the ignition on. The starter works 'cause we jumped it at the relay and it cranks that way just fine. Checked all sensor connections and everything is connected. I did not have time to meter any voltages at the sensors.

When I do the key on/off/on/off/on NO CODES of any kind are reported. In fact, the check engine light won't even come on for like 30-40 seconds and then it illuminates solid.

My feeling is that the ECU has failed but maybe I am missing something which is why I am posting here. If anyone can help, please advise. If you want to email me directly regarding this, my email is tmbevtfd[at]tampabay.rr.com.

Thank you.

Tom

#2 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 20,277 posts

Posted August 1, 2009 at 09:08 pm

Check the ASD - auto shutdown - relay. Try swapping it with a similar relay.

I experienced a similar problem with my Stratus - would crank forever but never start. Replaced the ASD relay and then not only did it start, but it gave up the codes it was holding (I don't recall what they were - I think it was an 11 - crank or cam sensor. Loose connection apparently triggered the ASD.

#3 Tom B (converted)

Tom B (converted)
  • Guests

Posted August 2, 2009 at 05:33 am

Check the ASD - auto shutdown - relay. Try swapping it with a similar relay.

I experienced a similar problem with my Stratus - would crank forever but never start. Replaced the ASD relay and then not only did it start, but it gave up the codes it was holding (I don't recall what they were - I think it was an 11 - crank or cam sensor. Loose connection apparently triggered the ASD.

Thank you. However, I already did that. And this car won't even crank. Like I said in the post, if I have someone hold in the crank pos of the key and jump across the starter relay, it WILL crank so the starter is good. It won't start, however.

Again, thanks.

#4 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,245 posts

Posted August 2, 2009 at 06:27 am

I would get a wiring diagram for the car. Concentrate on the battery to PDC (power distribution center) to PCM. Make sure that the battery and ignition 'on' voltages are present at the PCM terminals to allow starter operation. There are 3 or 4 powers and grounds to the PCM and all of them must be working. If not, trace the wire back to the open.
There is the one wire from the positive battery terminal bolt to the starter that I have seen get corroded between the terminal and bolt (hidden from view) that can cause an open circuit.
Check all your fuses and connector terminals for corrosion. Rule out everything first before condemning the PCM itself.
Your local, main library may have wiring diagrams if they have the large Motor's manuals in the reference section. They may even have the factory service manual.

#5 Carlton Powers (converted)

Carlton Powers (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 10, 2009 at 10:42 am

2000 Neon. 136K on the clock. My son drives the car. The other night, it just died all of a sudden at a slow speed. He was driving down a friend's driveway. The only caveat to that event was that it was very low on fuel. He said "below the red mark." They put in a couple gallons but it still would not crank or anything. Lights come on and everything else works. Good battery voltage. We've been procrastinating on doing the dreaded timing belt job so my first thought was that the belt went and the car went into shutdown. Today we tore it apart and the belt was fine along with the valve timing. We changed out the belt anyway and a new water pump while in there. The valve timing is definately spot on still. It's not the first time I've done an overhead cam belt. Anyway, it still won't crank or start. We assumed it wouldn't but did the work since it needed it anyway. I have metered everything from the ignition switch to the power distribution center and there is power. There is no power to the coil pack with the ignition on. The starter works 'cause we jumped it at the relay and it cranks that way just fine. Checked all sensor connections and everything is connected. I did not have time to meter any voltages at the sensors.

When I do the key on/off/on/off/on NO CODES of any kind are reported. In fact, the check engine light won't even come on for like 30-40 seconds and then it illuminates solid.

My feeling is that the ECU has failed but maybe I am missing something which is why I am posting here. If anyone can help, please advise. If you want to email me directly regarding this, my email is tmbevtfd[at]tampabay.rr.com.

Thank you.

Tom

Have you checked/replaced the CPS?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.