Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Hall Effect Sensor/pick-Up Coil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jacks1986Lebaron

Jacks1986Lebaron
  • Inactive
  • 131 posts

Posted August 24, 2009 at 08:56 pm

In trying to possibly diagnose and finally repair my car. Some of you have mentioned to me I should check my hall effect sensor/wiring/connections.

From everything I have read on here and elsewhere on 1986 Chrysler Lebarons with a 2.5 TBI-non-turbo, the Hall Effect Sensor should be "in" my distributor?????

Dis. Cap off, rotor button out, and the distibutor is "hollow" like the inside of a coke can!!! I wiped down the inside of the distributor, and cleaned off a little carbon on the "new" rotor I put on in May.

Now, granted I am blind as a bat, but exactly where is this Sensor and how small is it? Is it up UNDER the distributor??

I even went and bought a Chilton book for 1981 to 1994 Chryslers front wheel drive 4 cylinders.

It shows exactly where it is for 1981 to 1985 FWD 4 cyl, 2.2 and 2.5L but nothing on a 1986 Lebaron. (My Luck!)

Can anyone help a dumb ole Tennessean. Seems all the info I read contradicts each other. The Chiltons book fault codes for my year of vehicle doesn't match anything on Allpar or Knize or Chrysler K-Car Forum.

I now know why when I take it in to the dealer or a mechanic they can't fix the problem because the info that is out there conflicts.

Any help would be appreciated as always.

Thank you.

#2 Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill

325,000+ miles and counting...

• Supermen
  • Others:Forum Leader, Superfriend
  • 29,393 posts

Posted August 24, 2009 at 09:07 pm

Check the link in my signature. Those code descriptions are accurate for sure.

The HEP (Hall Effect Pickup) is under the distributor cap. For the TBI there is one connector at the end of a wire coming from below the cap which connects to the harness. This looks like a black disk. Without the HEP the 'walls' which spin as the distributor turns won't create the signal to fire the ignition and injector.

To detect a totally failed HEP disconnect the battery then once reconnected try to crank the engine. If it doesn't start pull the codes. If code 11 shows up it means that the computer did not receive any signal from the HEP indicating that the HEP is dead.

However, if it does start then the HEP may still be bad as in intermittent. But there is a possibility that it is a connection where the HEP connects to the harness.

#3 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,774 posts

Posted August 25, 2009 at 07:46 am

Take off the distributor cap, pull the ignition rotor, and this is underneath. This is the Hall effect pickup, and it just lifts out:

Posted Image

Edited by Bob Lincoln, August 25, 2009 at 07:46 am.

#4 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,211 posts

Posted August 25, 2009 at 10:12 am

Follow Bob's instructions. I had a '86 LeBaron GTS with the 2.5L and yes, it does have a HEP - at least I remember mine having one though I never replaced it. Remove the distributor splash shield, remove the distributor cap, remove the distributor rotor and the HEP is right there - can't miss it. At least it should be right there.......

If it still isn't there, can you post some pics? I don't recall a 2.5L ('86 and newer) ever not having a HEP.

I think I still have a Haynes manual at home for the '86 LeBaron GTS/Lancer. I'll try to remember and see if I can look this up.

#5 Wizard

Wizard

Stready as Tulip goes will win.

• 5,109 posts

Posted August 25, 2009 at 10:26 am

Been this way since 81 for 2.2 onwards and 1986 for 2.5L as well. Either carb or TBI.

Note that carbed HEP is smaller diameter than TBI. That what I found out.

Cheers, Wizard

#6 Jacks1986Lebaron

Jacks1986Lebaron
  • Inactive
  • 131 posts

Posted August 25, 2009 at 06:07 pm

Wow.....thanks to everyone!!!

I even got "pictures"!! haha,,,,,,which by the way are being printed off along with all the instructions as soon as I type this!!!

I wondered what that wire coming out around the distributor was for.....now I know!! :)

Thanks again everyone!!

I'll let ya know know how it goes!!!

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.