cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

1986 Plymouth Turismo Duster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 scttyb69

scttyb69
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted September 9, 2009 at 05:35 pm

Well this is my introduction thread.

I am a 17 year old student without a job.

I currently own a 1986 Plymouth Turismo (says duster on outside though??), Its an automatic.

The can runs great, at 38K miles with about 40 miles of commuting a day. It could use a lot of work though.

The exterior has its share of scratches and the paint is starting to chip off on the hood and sides, the back bumper is rusty.

The one major problem that I really need some help on, is a leak or something that allows water to collect on the floors.
Usually it happens after it rains, but could keep getting wet for days and days after that. Has anyone had a problem similar? Here is a picture of my driver side floor

Posted Image

I would like to get more power out of this car, I know these turismos have amazing potential inside and out, and I would like my car to live up to the expectation of par fans.

Here are some pictures of the car:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Heres a poor quality video also:

Edited by scttyb69, September 9, 2009 at 06:22 pm.

#2 Abkshelby

Abkshelby
  • 849 posts

Posted September 9, 2009 at 08:42 pm

Welcome to the forum. That Duster is in quite good shape for it's age. Keep in mind that it probably has 138k on it's odometer. But it has many miles left in it if you care for it. Your leak is one of 2 things. Your windhield itself may be leaing but more than likley you have water leaking in the cowl area (Area up where the windhield wipers are underneath) L-bodies were infamous for the seam sealer cracking and leaking water into the floor area. Get a K&N air filter and get the engine tuned properly for now. You can play with engine timing some to increase power but unless you want to spend a lot of money there is not much you can do to make it really fast. Just enjoy it and have fun!

Edited by Abkshelby, September 9, 2009 at 08:44 pm.

#3 scttyb69

scttyb69
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted September 10, 2009 at 01:15 pm

It is verified 38K, the previous owner was a family friend who had bought the car new at age 68.

Let put this out there for you guys, I have little to no experience with cars at all, I'm an electronics engineer (smaller than your finger).

If you post something, please try to dumb it down to a level that someone who hasnt worked with cars would understand.

Thanks greatly!

Scott

Edit: Im looking to swap out all the internal lights with blue instead of the teal the car came with.

Does anyone know what kind of bulb these turismos use? If not ill end up just ditching the bulb all together and soldering in some LEDs with 12v resistors.

Edited by scttyb69, September 10, 2009 at 03:06 pm.

#4 Abkshelby

Abkshelby
  • 849 posts

Posted September 10, 2009 at 04:15 pm

The Turismo dash cluster is illuminated with glass wedge #168 bulbs which everyone replaces with 194 in any color you want. (Orange looks cool in there by the way also)
There are blue/green covers over the bulbs you can take off to make it light up brighter also. Enjoy!

#5 scttyb69

scttyb69
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted September 10, 2009 at 04:34 pm

The Turismo dash cluster is illuminated with glass wedge #168 bulbs which everyone replaces with 194 in any color you want. (Orange looks cool in there by the way also)
There are blue/green covers over the bulbs you can take off to make it light up brighter also. Enjoy!

Thank you for the info, Now to get to the dash lights, I would have to remove the whole dash correct?
Also, while removing the center console, It got stuck on the E-brake. Is there an efficient way to remove this?

Sorry for all the questions, your a lot of help though!

#6 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,758 posts

Posted September 10, 2009 at 04:39 pm

I colored my bulbs vermillion red and blacked-out the gauge pointers, except for the pointer tips which I left orange. It was an eerie view at night. While the books that were availible to modify these cars are long out of print, they may still be out there at amazon.com and online technical book vendors. Carbs were troublesome on these.

#7 scttyb69

scttyb69
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted September 10, 2009 at 05:02 pm

A book that includes the 1986 mustang was the closest I could find to my car
http://www.amazon.co...2619899&sr=1-42

Im more of a trial and error kind of guy, this weekend ill try the dash by myself.

#8 Abkshelby

Abkshelby
  • 849 posts

Posted September 10, 2009 at 07:39 pm

Thank you for the info, Now to get to the dash lights, I would have to remove the whole dash correct?
Also, while removing the center console, It got stuck on the E-brake. Is there an efficient way to remove this?

Sorry for all the questions, your a lot of help though!

You can replace the bulbs without removing the whole dash.
Just take the front lens off and remove the individual gauges to get to the bulbs.
Removing the speedometer is tricky though. The cable clips onto it. It breaks easily.
Your best bet is to obtain Chrysler factory service manuals before you take stuff apart. Ebay has them usually cheap. The rubber handle part of the ebrake cable slides off to aid in removal. If your ebrake is adjusted real tight it will be difficult to remove. Don't worry about asking questions. You won't find out unless you ask.

#9 scttyb69

scttyb69
  • Inactive
  • 6 posts

Posted September 10, 2009 at 08:00 pm

You can replace the bulbs without removing the whole dash.
Just take the front lens off and remove the individual gauges to get to the bulbs.
Removing the speedometer is tricky though. The cable clips onto it. It breaks easily.
Your best bet is to obtain Chrysler factory service manuals before you take stuff apart. Ebay has them usually cheap. The rubber handle part of the ebrake cable slides off to aid in removal. If your ebrake is adjusted real tight it will be difficult to remove. Don't worry about asking questions. You won't find out unless you ask.

I had taken off the front lens, but the gauges seemed to be part of another box inside the dashboard that I couldnt get to.
Ill try again this weekend.

Closest factory manual i could find was a 1980 omni series. Probably wont work correct?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

#10 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,758 posts

Posted September 11, 2009 at 04:41 am

Try your local main library for a factory manual. Photocopy what you want to keep. Most libraries have their resources listed online and if they're checked out or not. Ask if you don't see them on the shelves, they may be stored in the back-room 'stacks'.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.