cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Which OMB2 Code Readers can read transmission trouble codes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Miner

Miner
  • 26 posts

Posted October 2, 2009 at 11:49 pm

I would like to purchase an OBD 2 code reader. Can anyone tell me which one would would be capable of retrieving transmission trouble codes on a 41TE transmission. The Actron CP9175 AutoScanner is one of the one that I am thinking of buying. Also can a transmission code be retreived when the check engine light is not on? My vehicle is a 2002 Town & Country. Thanks.

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,450 posts

Posted October 3, 2009 at 05:36 am

That scanner will probably read any OBDII transmission codes. But it probably won't give you near as much information as a more expensive scanner. I use an old SnapOn MT2500 and it was several hundred dollars a few years ago. It allows me to read the TCM codes and the CVIs.

I am sure the transmission codes work like the rest of the codes. Some trigger the check engine light immediately, other are set as pending until they occur a certain number of times in a certain period.

#3 Miner

Miner
  • 26 posts

Posted October 3, 2009 at 03:50 pm

That scanner will probably read any OBDII transmission codes. But it probably won't give you near as much information as a more expensive scanner. I use an old SnapOn MT2500 and it was several hundred dollars a few years ago. It allows me to read the TCM codes and the CVIs.

I am sure the transmission codes work like the rest of the codes. Some trigger the check engine light immediately, other are set as pending until they occur a certain number of times in a certain period.

Thanks Valant67 for the information. It would be nice to be able to get the CVIs, but probably not necessary in most cases.

#4 alvin

alvin
  • 976 posts

Posted October 3, 2009 at 08:41 pm

Which MT2500 cartridges and cables are needed to read the transmission, ABS and airbag information?

Edited by alvin, October 3, 2009 at 08:42 pm.

#5 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,450 posts

Posted October 4, 2009 at 06:47 am

If the vehicle is an OBDII one, you must have the OBDII cable adapter with the Chrysler personality key (most use key #13). I have two cartridges installed, domestic primary and domestic troubleshooter. They must cover the year range you want to diagnose.

If you have an OBDI vehicle, you also need the Chrysler 1 adapter and the Chrysler 2 adapter. I may have these backwards, but the Chrysler 1 adapter hooks to the underhood port for engine codes and diagnostics. The Chrysler 2 adapter hooks to the underdash port for the transmission, ABS (I think it has to be newer than the 91-92 or so Bendix 10) and other systems. Same cartridges as above.

#6 alvin

alvin
  • 976 posts

Posted October 4, 2009 at 11:46 am

Thanks a lot. It wasn't easy to find an answer to that question. So, in the case of OBDII, the only Chrysler-specific accessory would be the personality key. This is good to know.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.