Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Accessing rear plugs in a 3.3 L GC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 mmcpher407

mmcpher407
  • 33 posts

Posted December 6, 2009 at 11:43 am

[i]Little bits
On replacing spark plugs: “On the Caravan with the 3.3, take the bolt out of the front engine mount by the radiator and let the engine rotate forward as far as possible and then set the parking brake. Watch for clearance as you push the car in park and it will work. You can then use a socket extension straight down on the plugs and reach them easier.” (from Ervin)

This quote is from the repairs section of allpar. Has anyone that posts here tried this? I'm wondering if you still have to remove the wiper cowl and/or air plenum when using this procedure? Seems like might be a time saver and potentially easier than crawling under the car to reach around the catalytic converter.

#2 sixto

sixto
  • 1,075 posts

Posted December 6, 2009 at 12:57 pm

For which generation van was this suggested? How does this help in a 96-00? The rear plugs are still tucked behind the alternator, intake plenum and throttle body when the engine tilts forward.

Sixto
97 GC SE 3.3 201K miles

#3 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,944 posts

Posted December 6, 2009 at 01:10 pm

It is unclear from that section which vans it means.
But I never found the ones on my 1991 3.3 too hard to do.
And it's pretty quick and easy to get the stuff out of the way on the 1999 3.8 for that once per 100k change.
I think the time spent messing with the mount would be better spent on other parts of the plug change process.

#4 osbo (converted)

osbo (converted)
  • Guests

Posted December 7, 2009 at 10:10 am

In the shop, Some of the techs take off the cowl and wipers to gain access to the
back of the engine for plugs, valve cover, etc..
Once the cowl is off, the back of the engine is very accessible.

#5 rpdemink

rpdemink
  • 139 posts

Posted December 9, 2009 at 10:04 am

I pulled the cowl AND rocked the engine forward...it helps, but still not easy(2000 3.3) actually the mount is easy to tale loose and use a bottle jack or such to put back together.

#6 LBA

LBA
  • 269 posts

Posted December 13, 2009 at 06:21 pm

On my gen 2 97 T&C with 3.8L, I've done it both ways.
As suggested in the OEM manual without removing the cowl; difficult, time-consuming, many scrapes, cuts, etc.
With cowl and windshield wiper module removed to r&r the alternator; a lot easier.
Removing and replacing the cowl & ww module really doesn't take that long to do.
If I make it to my 4th set of plugs, I'll do it that way again.

#7 99WhiteGrCaravan

99WhiteGrCaravan
  • Inactive
  • 14 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 at 04:13 pm

I read as much as I can in the forum and other sites before I attempted to replace the 3 rear plugs on my 99 Grand Caravan. I was contemplating which of the two most common methods 1) removing the wiper tray or 2)doing from the underside with the van on a hoist. I was lucky enough to able to use my friend's hoist in his shop. My conclusion is that if your GC have the optional two (Front and rear) air conditioners, you will never able to get to number 1 (passenger side)plug from below because the refrigerant tubes. You have to remove the wiper tray and alternator bracket to access to it. It turned out removing the tray was easy just time consuming.

Good luck.

#8 gregcm

gregcm
  • Inactive
  • 12 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I came across this post and thought I would pass along my experience. I just finished replacing the spark plugs and wires on my 2004 Chrysler Town and Country with 3.3L and 93k miles. I accessed all of the rear plugs from over the top of the engine without any major difficulties. I was getting an check engine light error P0304 which I hope solves the problem.

Greg

Edited by gregcm, February 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm.

#9 Frank G

Frank G
  • Inactive
  • 255 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 at 04:26 pm

I came across this post and thought I would pass along my experience. I just finished replacing the spark plugs and wires on my 2004 Chrysler Town and Country with 3.3L and 93k miles. I accessed all of the rear plugs from over the top of the engine without any major difficulties. I was getting an check engine light error P0304 which I hope solves the problem.

Greg

Absolutely. The Gen. 4 vans have far better access than the Gen. 3s! Good luck on your CEL.

#10 digitalrailroader

digitalrailroader
  • 1,109 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 at 05:39 pm

Absolutely. The Gen. 4 vans have far better access than the Gen. 3s! Good luck on your CEL.

your forgetting about an engine... the 3.0L Mitsubishi 6G72. the Flat Plenum makes it easy to stick your hand between the cowl and the engine down to the rear plugs. believe me, I've had to replace the plugs in ours.

#11 '05 GC 3.3

'05 GC 3.3
  • 14 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 at 09:53 pm

your forgetting about an engine... the 3.0L Mitsubishi 6G72. the Flat Plenum makes it easy to stick your hand between the cowl and the engine down to the rear plugs. believe me, I've had to replace the plugs in ours.

Replaced plugs on our '05 GC with the 3.3....just reached over the top of the intake...not too hard at all. My dad has a 97 Plymouth Voyager with the 3.0...now those are hard...not as much room.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.