cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

06 pt erratic temp gage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 ptray

ptray
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted December 19, 2009 at 01:16 pm

I have an 06 pt...28k miles ... I have been back to the dealer 2 times for this, the temp comes up to normal and then goes back down to almost 1/4 gage and and then jumps around, they say this is normal. 2 weeks ago they replaced the head gasket and t stat under warranty and i thought that this would have taken care of this----they are going to look at again... the warranty is up dec.31....anyone else have a situation like this and what was the fix....thanks ptray

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 19, 2009 at 02:22 pm

I have an 06 pt...28k miles ... I have been back to the dealer 2 times for this, the temp comes up to normal and then goes back down to almost 1/4 gage and and then jumps around, they say this is normal. 2 weeks ago they replaced the head gasket and t stat under warranty and i thought that this would have taken care of this----they are going to look at again... the warranty is up dec.31....anyone else have a situation like this and what was the fix....thanks ptray

Welcome to the forum. I have had mine do this a couple times within the first ten minutes of driving, the thermostat opens too quickly and unless I am driving constant, it does one of these temperature dumps, then settles out after one cycling like this. The temperatures are much cooler through most of the country and people are having strange things happen all over the place, is this something that just started or has it been doing this all the time, just after starting like I wrote, you know, some different circumstances? I had a time two winters ago I went through the Siskiyous mountains at 10pm in December with the temperature hovering just below freezing, so I would pop the tranny into neutral and coast down some of the longer downgrades to save gas, to which I quit when the heater stopped and I looked down and the temp gage was at ice cold, so at least I know the temperature control for the engine does go down, not just up to just below the center mark. Only other thing would be the sensor itself, but we are talking the temp going up and down all the time you are driving, and in temperatures below 35ish, where a cooling system can do these symptoms without problems.

#3 ptray

ptray
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted December 19, 2009 at 09:13 pm

I bought the car in july of this year,with 22k on it , it was my moms car and she lives in vegas, so i don't know. it is the first it has seen cold weather... I think the dealer would know how to make sure there is no air pocket and check the sensors... my buddy has an 06 and he says his gage comes up to normal temp and never moves after that... i talked to service mgr. and he is going to look at again by a different mechanic at the jeep dealer.. the dodge and chrysler dealer moved into one bld. and the jeep dealer into another.the service mgr. oversees both dealerships...hope they find something else .....

Edited by ptray, December 19, 2009 at 09:17 pm.

#4 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 19, 2009 at 09:58 pm

I bought the car in july of this year,with 22k on it , it was my moms car and she lives in vegas, so i don't know. it is the first it has seen cold weather... I think the dealer would know how to make sure there is no air pocket and check the sensors... my buddy has an 06 and he says his gage comes up to normal temp and never moves after that... i talked to service mgr. and he is going to look at again by a different mechanic at the jeep dealer.. the dodge and chrysler dealer moved into one bld. and the jeep dealer into another.the service mgr. oversees both dealerships...hope they find something else .....

Yes, but does it only do the up and down thing with the gage a couple times when it is cold and then stop, or does it continue to do the to temperature and down constantly? I have found that once the fluid is topped off in the radiator, it is a very forgiving engine as far as getting air stuck in it.

#5 Cudapete

Cudapete
  • 3,939 posts

Posted December 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm

When it is very cold out, <20F, the temp gauge in my PT will go up to half, the thermostat will open, and then it will go down to 3/8's. This cycle will repeat for the first 15 minutes of driving until equilibrium is reached.

Edited by Cudapete, December 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm.

#6 tattoo63

tattoo63
  • Inactive
  • 25 posts

Posted December 23, 2009 at 09:42 pm

When it is very cold out, <20F, the temp gauge in my PT will go up to half, the thermostat will open, and then it will go down to 3/8's. This cycle will repeat for the first 15 minutes of driving until equilibrium is reached.

Thanks for posting this! I just came here tonight because for the past two days my engine temp gauge will go to the half-way like always then after a few minutes go down alittle and then back up to half-way. It has been very cold here. The fan is working fine, I'm thinking maybe the thermostat so I'm dropping it off Monday. I have 44,000 on my 05 Cruiser. Thanks!! :rolleyes:

#7 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 23, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Thanks for posting this! I just came here tonight because for the past two days my engine temp gauge will go to the half-way like always then after a few minutes go down alittle and then back up to half-way. It has been very cold here. The fan is working fine, I'm thinking maybe the thermostat so I'm dropping it off Monday. I have 44,000 on my 05 Cruiser. Thanks!! Posted Image

This little engine design is fantastic, doesn't get air pockets when filling and all kinds of good stuff. At the same time, when the thermostat opens, the temp gage is right there to note the temperature. Mine does this on occasion, and yes, I was a little surprised and concerned at first. I have gotten over the fact it went down a few different times under slightly different circumstances, but I have gotten over the fact that going down isn't a problem, going up is. If the same thing is happening after driving about twenty minutes, which is about how long it takes for the engine and radiator to both heat up (as long as it isn't frozen outside). Temp dropping isn't a problem people, it is just a surprise to see a gage this sensitive, the only other ones that have done this is the VDO gages (German precision engineering at its finest) I have in a couple cars, and they are numbered gages, not approximate gages like these.

#8 littlehafefast

littlehafefast
  • Inactive
  • 8 posts

Posted December 24, 2009 at 09:41 pm

My 06 will do this also in cold weather like some one said going down don't bother me go up i get consered :)

#9 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 26, 2009 at 03:27 pm

I just drove across the mountains heading east and really watched the gage. I have 89,000 miles on her, and I did notice the needle, during a minute or two coasting downhill, the temp gage will drop about 1/4 notch below the middle it normally sits, and takes a couple minutes to recover, so I still consider it to be normal operation.

#10 tattoo63

tattoo63
  • Inactive
  • 25 posts

Posted December 26, 2009 at 06:53 pm

Thanks for input everyone!!

#11 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted December 28, 2009 at 01:33 am

Thanks for input everyone!!

I had the same thing happen a couple times coming back over the mountain, the last two hours was dark and down to 39 degrees, the needle did drop three or four times enough to notice it was cooled, about a quarter of the halfway mark she normally sits, which isn't enough to make her go from normal operating temps to cold operating temps and took only three or four minutes to return to normal. I was cruising through the mountains abotu 80-85mph with a couple other cars, so going that fast does cool things down faster.

#12 tattoo63

tattoo63
  • Inactive
  • 25 posts

Posted December 30, 2009 at 06:33 pm

Well I dropped off my Cruiser, I talked to the mechanic whom I have known for sometime. He ended up replacing the thermostat and coolant, car has almost 45,000 miles. The gauge is still going to half way and then drops down to the next notch, goes up and then back down every few minutes,it does it less the longer I drive, but I only live 20 mins from work. I'm not that concerned but this is the fourth winter I've had the car and the first time the gauge did this stuff. :o I have a regular service appt in a few weeks, any suggestions? Thanks!! :D

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.