cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

2008 Charger Hemi Noise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kev55

Kev55
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted January 23, 2010 at 09:17 am

I have a 2008 Charger R/T. I bought it in 07/09 which was a leftover (96 miles on it) and I currently have 998 miles on it. I am experiencing noise in the passenger compartment which sounds like valve knock or lifter noise. I have called many dealers and got different answers every time. One dealer seems to know what the issue is. He states that it is fuel rail noise that is in 07 and 08 Chargers with the Hemi's. He saysthat they have tried different things to resoolve it but cannot fix it. The problem was resolved in the 09's and 10's and the new rails are not interchangable. I also notice that when my MDS kicks in the car emitts a noise like pressure being released or like you are driving over a tin can lid. Has anybody experienced these problems. Also I am looking into a cat back system for the car. Does anybody know which of the systems that are available are worth the money.

Thanks

#2 richd

richd
  • 396 posts

Posted January 23, 2010 at 04:23 pm

Here is something I found.Your not the only one with a complaint.This will explain your noise.

Hemi Tick.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many here know what we do to stop the Hemi Tick, but we figured that since there are so many new faces here, they may not have heard that you don't have to have it in your engines.

We have discussed previously that there are 3 culprits that cause the "Hemi Ticking" that is heard in idle and just off idle.

1) Intake and exhaust valves do not have any kind of cushioning from the fuel. Fuel usto have higher amounts of sulfur and tetra ethyl or tetra methyl lead to lubricate and cushion intake and exhaust valves in the old days. When EPA decided to go to unleaded fuels, hardened valves and seats were produced trying to deal with the lack of lubricant. This was adequate at best, but did allow engines to live longer than if they had soft valves and seats. However, when they went to ethyl alcohol, that all changed. Alcohol absorbs moisture and strips lubricity. That was bad enough, but when they reduced the sulfur content from 130 parts per million (ppm) to 30 ppm, it really produced a perfect storm. Both the intake and exhaust valves are now hitting against the valve seats with no cushioning at all. This causes wear, and then of course....noise or TICK.

2) Fuel injectors depend on at least 70 ppm of sulfur to stay alive. When EPA went to the ethyl alcohol and less than 30 ppm, they have no cushioning allowing them to click or tick also while building up gum and varnish. This restricts the flow of fuel and turns the vaporized spray pattern into an atomized spray pattern. Atomized fuel doesn't burn as well, and helps wash down into the cylinders and wipes out the detergents and dispersants much faster. This is the second part of the Hemi Tick.

3) Because the Hemi has a very short skirt and thin rings with virtually no land area, the piston wants to rock in the bores. This is another reason for the moly piston skirt coatings. It is designed to cushion the short skirt. The problem is that as miles rack up, the moly is worn off and a louder engine or tapping noise begins to occur. This is the third part of the Hemi Tick. This part actually contributes to more aluminum in your oil analysis. An oil analysis is always important to do on any engine you want to take care of as a baseline, and then every 3rd oil change, do one just to be sure nothing is leaking or causing problems.

#3 hip

hip
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted January 27, 2010 at 06:43 pm

ok so how do i stop the tick

Here is something I found.Your not the only one with a complaint.This will explain your noise.

Hemi Tick.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many here know what we do to stop the Hemi Tick, but we figured that since there are so many new faces here, they may not have heard that you don't have to have it in your engines.

We have discussed previously that there are 3 culprits that cause the "Hemi Ticking" that is heard in idle and just off idle.

1) Intake and exhaust valves do not have any kind of cushioning from the fuel. Fuel usto have higher amounts of sulfur and tetra ethyl or tetra methyl lead to lubricate and cushion intake and exhaust valves in the old days. When EPA decided to go to unleaded fuels, hardened valves and seats were produced trying to deal with the lack of lubricant. This was adequate at best, but did allow engines to live longer than if they had soft valves and seats. However, when they went to ethyl alcohol, that all changed. Alcohol absorbs moisture and strips lubricity. That was bad enough, but when they reduced the sulfur content from 130 parts per million (ppm) to 30 ppm, it really produced a perfect storm. Both the intake and exhaust valves are now hitting against the valve seats with no cushioning at all. This causes wear, and then of course....noise or TICK.

2) Fuel injectors depend on at least 70 ppm of sulfur to stay alive. When EPA went to the ethyl alcohol and less than 30 ppm, they have no cushioning allowing them to click or tick also while building up gum and varnish. This restricts the flow of fuel and turns the vaporized spray pattern into an atomized spray pattern. Atomized fuel doesn't burn as well, and helps wash down into the cylinders and wipes out the detergents and dispersants much faster. This is the second part of the Hemi Tick.

3) Because the Hemi has a very short skirt and thin rings with virtually no land area, the piston wants to rock in the bores. This is another reason for the moly piston skirt coatings. It is designed to cushion the short skirt. The problem is that as miles rack up, the moly is worn off and a louder engine or tapping noise begins to occur. This is the third part of the Hemi Tick. This part actually contributes to more aluminum in your oil analysis. An oil analysis is always important to do on any engine you want to take care of as a baseline, and then every 3rd oil change, do one just to be sure nothing is leaking or causing problems.

#4 richd

richd
  • 396 posts

Posted January 27, 2010 at 08:46 pm

The tick is common complaint on the Hemi as well as the V6,and most say its the injectors making the noise.neonturbo is right about trying to sell a product,but the none the less,the engines still make a tick.

Edited by richd, January 27, 2010 at 08:47 pm.

#5 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,056 posts

Posted January 27, 2010 at 09:14 pm

I don't doubt that some engines 'tick'. I can say neither the 5.7L Hemi in my Ram nor the 3.5L V6 in our Journey have the 'tick'. I guess I was lucky. The only thing I hear is the injectors.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.