Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

"Door ajar" warning gone crazy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 bazzwell

bazzwell
  • 176 posts

Posted January 26, 2010 at 02:54 pm

'90 Lebaron........the "door ajar" warning bell has developed a mental issue. Light on dash comes on and off, bell sounds, door locks open and close rapidly. Doors are closed of course, no buttons stuck, normally drive with the doors locked. Opening and closing the door doesn't seem to accomplish anything. Doesn't seem related to speed, gear, weather, just random and may stop/start at a moment's notice. All other switches working per normal standards.

Any ideas?

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,944 posts

Posted January 26, 2010 at 03:13 pm

I had a similar problem with the 1994 LeBaron convertible I used to own. In my case, the door was no longer in proper alignment. Short term solution was to tape a penny to where the switch hit to keep the switch's plunger in when the door was closed. Long term fix was to fix where my driver's door hinge had cracks around it which allowed the door to sag.

#3 bazzwell

bazzwell
  • 176 posts

Posted January 27, 2010 at 02:46 pm

That makes perfect sense, thank you. I think the penny is the route of choice. The '90 is at 135k and at the point where I either throw a couple grand at it or put the '94 with 16k into regular service.

#4 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • 25,781 posts

Posted January 28, 2010 at 09:11 am

The other possibility is that the BCM module in the passenger kickpad has gotten wet, shorted out, or has loose/intermittent connnectors. That's what happened in my last Daytona.

#5 george w

george w
  • Supporters III
  • 954 posts

Posted January 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Have you replaced the door jamb switch ? If the door hinges are badly worn then there may be enough door movement for the switch to think the door's ajar. Theres a small plunger cap in the very end of the switch that allows a new switch to take an initial "set" when it's first installed. Eventually this cap get's pressed all the way in and the switch may be on the edge of breaking contact when the door is closed. I'd try a new switch first. This switch is still in production as I know it's used on the rear doors of PT Cruisers. It's made by Delco and I've seen them on the internet and eBay too. They're about $ 12.

When these switches get worn you'll find that you get this eratic behavior. The BCM thinks the door was opened and then it goes into the relock mode since the car's moving. If the switch is teetering on the edge you can get continued re'locking which is quite annoying.

#6 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • 8,876 posts

Posted January 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Heh. An ex-girlfriend had a Mazda that actually said, "The Door... is ajar... the Door... is ajar..." over and over again when it was open. Someone who was mad at her (of which there were lots and lots of possiblities) broke her door sensor switch. Everywhere she went, the car constantly misinformed her that her door was ajar. I think she drove it to Tucson that way at least once...

I know, not related to the topic, but I couldn't resist sharing...

#7 RaiRai

RaiRai
  • 207 posts

Posted January 31, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Have you replaced the door jamb switch ? If the door hinges are badly worn then there may be enough door movement for the switch to think the door's ajar. Theres a small plunger cap in the very end of the switch that allows a new switch to take an initial "set" when it's first installed. Eventually this cap get's pressed all the way in and the switch may be on the edge of breaking contact when the door is closed. I'd try a new switch first. This switch is still in production as I know it's used on the rear doors of PT Cruisers. It's made by Delco and I've seen them on the internet and eBay too. They're about $ 12.

When these switches get worn you'll find that you get this eratic behavior. The BCM thinks the door was opened and then it goes into the relock mode since the car's moving. If the switch is teetering on the edge you can get continued re'locking which is quite annoying.

Today I replaced the original switches with universal type, here's a link to a photo:
http://www.biltema.f...ge/43-011_h.jpg
You just may need to shorten the plunger, otherwise fits without any mods, needs only 1 screw instead of 2 for the original.
I found the original switches unreliable and eventually the other switch exploded to pieces while I was testing it.

#8 bazzwell

bazzwell
  • 176 posts

Posted February 1, 2010 at 03:10 pm

Today I replaced the original switches with universal type, here's a link to a photo:
http://www.biltema.f...ge/43-011_h.jpg
You just may need to shorten the plunger, otherwise fits without any mods, needs only 1 screw instead of 2 for the original.
I found the original switches unreliable and eventually the other switch exploded to pieces while I was testing it.

Very nice, thank you!

#9 Beverly Leblanc (converted)

Beverly Leblanc (converted)
  • Guests

Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:17 am

I'm having a problem like this .i have a pt cruiser and the rear door trunk lock keeps popping opened while driving.Any clue?please help

#10 chuzz

chuzz
  • 5,252 posts

Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:35 am

You may just need to adjust the latch on that PT.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.