cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

89 New Yorker won't start

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 utahtenorsax

utahtenorsax
  • Inactive
  • 3 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 at 10:47 am

My 1989 Chrysler New Yorker Landau (3.0 liter V6) won't start. The engine cranks, but there is no 12V at the coil, even while cranking. I have checked all plugs and connectors, the fusible links and the ASD relay. The battery is up and the cables and spark plugs are good. I suspect the ignition reference sensor in the distributor or perhaps the computer itself, but hate to go on an expensive shopping trip if there is something I've overlooked. Is there a way to check the ignition module?

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,470 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 at 10:53 am

Have you verified the distributor is spinning and therefore the timing belt isn't broken?

For the optical distributor diagnosis, I'd look here:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/optical.html

#3 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • 25,346 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

Check fault codes: http://www.allpar.co...odes/index.html

On these cars, when the ignition is on, there is always steady 12V at the positive primary coil terminal, and the negative terminal gets switched on and off while firing.

#4 utahtenorsax

utahtenorsax
  • Inactive
  • 3 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Have you verified the distributor is spinning and therefore the timing belt isn't broken?

For the optical distributor diagnosis, I'd look here:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/optical.html

Yes, the distributor is turning. The timing belt is not broken. The link provided a procedure for checking the pickup. The pickup appears to be bad because it does not switch between 0 and 5V. Because I live in southern Utah, I have to wait for the next wagon train to get a replacement (tomorrow), so I'll let you know if that does the trick. Thanks for the help!

#5 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • 25,346 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 at 03:49 pm

What did you get for fault codes?

#6 utahtenorsax

utahtenorsax
  • Inactive
  • 3 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 at 01:18 pm

Check fault codes: http://www.allpar.co...odes/index.html

On these cars, when the ignition is on, there is always steady 12V at the positive primary coil terminal, and the negative terminal gets switched on and off while firing.

I know that's what the book says, but I measured nothing on the positive side of the coil whether cranking or not. I also didn't have a way to access the computer to see if there were any error codes.
It's a moot point, however, because valiant 67 and you provided enough information to steer me in the right direction. After replacing the ignition pickup (which arrived on this morning's Wells Fargo stage), this money pit started right up and is purring like a kitten. Much MUCH thanks to you guys for your help. It is genuinely appreciated.

#7 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • 25,346 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 at 03:01 pm

Great news! And the reason you got no 12V on the coil is because of the defective ignition switch. It also prevented access to codes, but now that it's working, that won't be an issue in the future.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.