cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Error codes P2302, P2305

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dart71

Dart71
  • 70 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 at 01:07 am

Hi everybody in the forum.Today I was driving my PT turbo 2003 and at the time I was surpassing another car the check engine turned on. Then I checked the faulty codes turning the switch on and off and the computer gave me the codes P2302 and P2305. Does anybody in this forum know what they mean?

#2 Locodave

Locodave
  • 50 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 at 02:40 am

Shows P2302 -> Ignition Coil A Sec Circ & P2305 -> Ignition Coil B Sec Circ Thinking it's ither the coil, spark wires or the plugs themself. Dave

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,758 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 at 04:04 am

As Locodave said. They're insufficiant secondary ignition ionization codes. Plugs are the most common culprit. Are they the correct plug as stated on the underhood emissions sticker? Many 'aftermarket' plugs will cause this issue. If the wires are original, it's time to change them also.

#4 Dart71

Dart71
  • 70 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 at 12:18 am

Thanks for your help. The coil and the wires are being replaced. Today additionally to the codes reported before I got the code P0352 Ignition Coil 2 Control Circuit. Do you know what is the meaning of this code?
Thanks in advance and regards.

#5 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,758 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 at 03:19 am

That would be a coil #2 primary-side issue, not secondary like P2305.
P0352 means that peak current was not reached (dwell) in the primary circuit, maybe because of high resistance or low voltage. Your problem may not be with the coil secondary or plug wires after all.

#6 Dart71

Dart71
  • 70 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

That would be a coil #2 primary-side issue, not secondary like P2305.
P0352 means that peak current was not reached (dwell) in the primary circuit, maybe because of high resistance or low voltage. Your problem may not be with the coil secondary or plug wires after all.

Do you know What other thing I have to do in order to solve this problem?

Edited by Dart71, March 15, 2010 at 11:19 am.

#7 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • 25,317 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Again, if the plugs and wires are original, it's almost certain that they caused this code, and replacing them will solve the problem. But if you drove through puddles like what we have, it could be water splashing up. My wife got a P0304 (#4 cyl misfire), and her alarm horn sounded wimpy. She admitted she hit deep puddles. The car is fine now.

#8 darkrover5

darkrover5
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 at 04:16 pm

hi all i am also getting a 2305 and 0300 code on my 03 pt turbo.Car runs great for a while and then will start to run very rough and the engine light flashes. I pull over shut it off turn it back on and it runs great sometimes for the day sometimes for a couple miles. Just had the coil pack plugs and wires changed and the mechanic says it is probably the pcm needs to be replaced. Any insite would be great

#9 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,758 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 at 05:31 pm

Although a failing PCM is possible, the PCM should be suspected last. Does the technician suspect the PCM because of something in particular or is it an educated guess?
Everything must be ruled out first. If this has happened more than once, has the freeze-frame data been similar for both occurrences?
Is it a high speed (above 5200 rpm) misfire? Is the car out of the 8/80 extended federal emissions warranty?

#10 darkrover5

darkrover5
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 at 07:29 pm

had the coil pack replaced at cahrysler about 3 years ago due to running rough.Started to go into a random misfire p0300. a couple weeks ago,so took it in and was told the coil pack was gone.had it replaced along with wires and plugs.Ran great for 2 days then started to do the same thing p0300 and p2305.while driving under normal conditions 60 to 80 kmh yes it is Canadian.it will go into random missfire.Was doing it while cold for me but the tech said when he heated up the pcm it would do it .took the battery out yesterday for an hour then replaced, wife drove it yesterday for about 10 min and it did it again,just checked the codes and it gives me a p2305 no freeze frame data for it this time.

#11 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,758 posts

Posted February 1, 2012 at 04:14 am

The PCM is listed as a possible cause of P0300, but not P2305. If your tech feels confident that the PCM is the problem then go with it.
Note that the PCM is at the bottom of the list of suspects. Everything else must be ruled out before blaming the PCM.

P2305-IGNITION COIL #2 SECONDARY CIRCUIT-INSUFFICIENT IONIZATION
When Monitored: Engine Running.
Set Condition: If PCM detects that the secondary ignition burn time is incorrect or not
present an error is detected. One Trip Fault

POSSIBLE CAUSES
INTERMITTENT CONDITION
SPARK PLUG
IGNITION WIRE
IGNITION COIL OPERATION
IGNITION COIL

P0300-MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
When Monitored: Any time the engine is running, and the Target Learning Coefficient
has been successfully updated.
Set Condition: When more than a 1.8% misfire rate is measured during two trips. Above
3000 RPM 1 trip less than 3000 RPM 2 trip.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
INTERMITTENT MISFIRE
VISUAL AND PHYSICAL INSPECTION
IGNITION WIRE
ASD RELAY OUPUT CIRCUIT (COIL)
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
IGNITION COIL
COIL CONTROL CIRCUIT
SPARK PLUG
CHECKING FUEL PRESSURE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP MODULE
CHECKING FUEL LEAK DOWN
FUEL INJECTOR OPERATION
ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT (INJECTOR)
FUEL INJECTOR
INJECTOR CONTROL CIRCUIT
PCM (IGNITION SYSTEM)
PCM

#12 OhioHomesteader

OhioHomesteader
  • Members - Under 2 Posts
  • 1 posts

Posted February 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm

You will spend a whole bunch of money on a PCM and not solve the problem.

P2305 tells tha tale. More than likely NOT the PCM. Even if there was not a P2305, the chances of it being the PCM is less than 1%. Much much less.

What brand coil, wires and spark plugs were installed? Also - the model # of the plugs. Were the plug wires routed properly - ie, as per the FSM?

#13 John_B

John_B
  • 58 posts

Posted February 10, 2012 at 05:45 pm

Spark plugs, wires, coil can all be checked easily. If they check bad replace them. If they don't keep 'em in. If the fuel pump module is in the tank, drain it, drop it and check module strainers (after you have checked the pressure and found it a little low). Mine has a strainer at the end, outside the module. Another strainer inside the module between the pump motor and the strainer on the outside of the module. A third strainer is also inside the module at the opposite end. Was having similar single and multiple #1 & #4 misfire problems which would come and go. My wife's Neon died last week on her way to work and she had to get someone from work to pick her up. I thought we have now got something to work on because it had finally died. Drove the 68 miles to where she had left the car on the side of the highway put the tow bar on it and took it to a parking lot to leave it for a few minutes while I went to pick her up from work and bring her and the car home.

Well I ended up driving that Neon home, not towing it as I intended, without a problem (no misfire what so ever). The next day she drove my son in to work she said it was misfiring to the point she could hardly get home. I put a new fuel pump in it and it seems to be running great. Only time will tell.

The Neon I have does not have fuel filter(s) between the outlet at the pump module and the rail but if you have filters they should probably be changed

Hope this helps.

John

Edited by John_B, February 10, 2012 at 05:56 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.