cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Water leak at Passenger floor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 mylar6126

mylar6126
  • Inactive
  • 5 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser and I have noticed after a rain the carpet is wet on the passenger floor. I park with the car looking slightly down hill. The wet area is just below the front edge of the door and the water collects where the floor rolls up under the dash.

It is water, not a heater core leak or from the A/C since I do not use it. The car is parked so the rain is not blowing in while driving.

I have seen some posts on-line with the same problem.

Anyone have a idea where to look to correct this problem?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23576038[at]N05/4425156426/

For some reason you will need to replace the [at] in the above link with @

Thanks, Bill

Edited by mylar6126, March 11, 2010 at 01:22 pm.

#2 mylar6126

mylar6126
  • Inactive
  • 5 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I think I may have found the problem.

The bottom door seal is molded with a V channel to collect any water that may get by during a hard rain before it gets onto the carpet. The channel has a small weep hole on the outside to carry the water back under the door. In my case my driveway slopes in such a way that all the water does not get to the weep hole and flows over onto the floor. I added another hole where the water collects to allow it to drain out.

Hopes this helps someone else.

Bill

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,758 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 at 03:46 pm

I believe that there are drainholes along the bottom of the rockers where the rocker/floor panels are spot-welded together. Many times these plug up with tree(?) debris washed down from the cowl area. I would hear a 'slosh'whenever I braked, accelerated or cornered. I stuck a pin up the drain hole and about a quart of water poured out.
The antenna cable grommet can also become unseated and allow water to trickle in behind the right kickpanel and wet the carpet.

#4 mopar_doug

mopar_doug
  • 69 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 at 06:57 pm

I would also check the sunroof drain tubes if your vehicle has a sunroof. I had such a leak on my 2001 Cruiser and found the drain tube on the passenger side front was clogged. I ended up blowing compressed air through the tube and all is now fine. The service manual says you can tell if this is the problem because you can hear the water sloshing around. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck!

#5 rock333 (converted)

rock333 (converted)
  • Guests

Posted April 15, 2010 at 03:53 am

I think I may have found the problem.

The bottom door seal is molded with a V channel to collect any water that may get by during a hard rain before it gets onto the carpet. The channel has a small weep hole on the outside to carry the water back under the door. In my case my driveway slopes in such a way that all the water does not get to the weep hole and flows over onto the floor. I added another hole where the water collects to allow it to drain out.

Hopes this helps someone mcts else.

Bill

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.