allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Oil Change Indicator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 DP360

DP360
  • 340 posts

Posted March 25, 2010 at 08:47 am

This question probably could go anywhere, but I figure this section of the forum needs some activity, so here it goes...

Exactly how does the oil change indicator system in my Journey (and probably all CGLLC vehicles) work? Here's my theory:

The oil change sensor is really just an intelligent odometer/calendar. It's programmed to go off at 6000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. That is why it needs to be reset after an oil change. If it was really monitoring the state of the oil, a reset wouldn't be necessary. The "intelligent" aspect of the system comes in the form of the computer factoring in usage. The computer certainly knows the operating condition of the engine during those 6000 miles. It must have some algorithm that factors this in so that if it thinks you have been hard on the engine, it chimes the indicator light sooner than the 6000 mile interval.

So, am I right (or close to right)? I'm pretty sure I am but I have heard just enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that there might be more to it than that. I need to know this mainly to satisfy my curiosity. I've adopted my own oil-change regimen and there is no way I'm going to blindly trust that system. However, if my indicator goes off 2000 miles after my last oil change, I'd like to know if its something to worry about or that I probably just failed to reset it last time my oil was changed.

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,242 posts

Posted March 25, 2010 at 10:48 am

The 'oil life' monitor is a software algorithm. It takes in factors like trip length, run time, load and temperature to make an informed decision. GM cars do oil life as a 'percentage of life left' reminder.

#3 DP360

DP360
  • 340 posts

Posted March 25, 2010 at 12:17 pm

The 'oil life' monitor is a software algorithm. It takes in factors like trip length, run time, load and temperature to make an informed decision. GM cars do oil life as a 'percentage of life left' reminder.

Thanks! That's what I figured.

Now, if I change my oil when the indicator is OFF but I go through the motions of resetting the indicator (three full depressions the gas pedal, I believe), that will reset the algorithm, right?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.