cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Diagnostic code P000B - variable valve timing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted April 13, 2010 at 09:00 pm

I have just recently purchased a 2008 Dodge Avenger with the 2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder engine. I understand this engine has a variable valve timing feature for the exhaust and intake camshafts. Diagnostic code P000B has appeared which indicates a problem with the valve timing feature. It references bank 1, camshaft 2. So is the code pointing to the exhaust or to the intake camshaft? I will assume the camshaft closest to the firewall in the transverse orientation is the exhaust camshaft?

#2 richd

richd
  • 396 posts

Posted April 14, 2010 at 12:17 am

I have just recently purchased a 2008 Dodge Avenger with the 2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder engine. I understand this engine has a variable valve timing feature for the exhaust and intake camshafts. Diagnostic code P000B has appeared which indicates a problem with the valve timing feature. It references bank 1, camshaft 2. So is the code pointing to the exhaust or to the intake camshaft? I will assume the camshaft closest to the firewall in the transverse orientation is the exhaust camshaft?

Your are right the rearward cam is the exhaust cam.From what I have read,it the camshaft position sensor problem.Its also states this can come from wrong oil,dirty oil,or dirty sensors.

Edited by richd, April 14, 2010 at 12:18 am.

#3 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,756 posts

Posted April 14, 2010 at 03:22 am

There is a TSB # 18-018-07A that addresses this fault code. It involves a GPEC (PCM) flash and checking the OCV (oil control valve). It should still be under warranty. Use 5W-20 oil only.

#4 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted April 14, 2010 at 08:49 am

There is a TSB # 18-018-07A that addresses this fault code. It involves a GPEC (PCM) flash and checking the OCV (oil control valve). It should still be under warranty. Use 5W-20 oil only.

GPEC? X X Engine Controller?... Im interested simply because I have this engine and I like keeping up on the new lingo.

#5 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted April 14, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for the update about the TSB. I found it on the web and it appears there is an inspection/replacement of the oil control valve and software upgrade. The car has 48000 miles on it so I am beyond the basic 3/36 warranty so I would assume that I would have to pay a service fee to get the upgrade installed. I am wondering if the oil control valve could be cleaned and re-entered into service and that might solve part of the problem? I would imagine that the software upgrade changes the parameters so that it is less likely to illuminate the check engine lamp.

#6 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,756 posts

Posted April 14, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Engine controller software updates should be covered under the 8/80 Extended federal emissions warranty.
The OCV is just a possible oil pressure inspection. Failure is rare, I've never had to replace one. Usually the flash fixes it.

#7 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted April 14, 2010 at 05:21 pm

Engine controller software updates should be covered under the 8/80 Extended federal emissions warranty.
The OCV is just a possible oil pressure inspection. Failure is rare, I've never had to replace one. Usually the flash fixes it.

That's definitely encouraging! I never thought that engine management software upgrades would be part of the federal emissions warranty. That definitely will save me money. Great thing to know! Thanks again for the update.

#8 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,303 posts

Posted April 16, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Latest update. I left the vehicle with dealership this morning. Service department says a software update flash fixes the problem. Cost will be $75 which is what the dealership charges to diagnose check engine lamp. Should this diagnostic fee be included as part of the warranty coverage so I should not have to pay any fee? Or is the diagnostic fee NOT reimbursable from the manufacturer so the service department has to recover this cost from the owner? I want to be fair but I don't want to be taken for a ride on this issue since it is an engine controller software problem.

#9 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,756 posts

Posted April 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Unfortunately, the dealers can do what they want on 'diagnostic fee', it's an upfront minimum charge. The factory has no guidelines once the car is out of 'basic' warranty.
The dealer can get time paid from the factory if they just directly performed the TSB at your request, but they won't take your word that the car needs it, they have to 'check it out' for themselves.
Fair or not, it's probably a standard practice.
Around here, 'diagnostic fee' approaches $100.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.