cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

3.3 - 3.8 CARAVAN ENGINE SWAP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 DUKTAPEKID

DUKTAPEKID
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 at 02:15 pm

I HAVE AN 01 GRAND CARAVAN 3.8 WITH A BAD ENGINE AND SOME MILES ON IT. I WANT TO BUY A LOWER MILEAGE WRECK AND SWAP IN THE ENTIRE RUNNING GEAR. THERE ARE VERY FEW 3.8'S AVAILABLE, BUT LOTS OF 3.3'S. CAN I SWAP THE WHOLE THING IN WITHOUT TOO MUCH PROBLEM? I'M WILLING TO STRIP THEM DOWN IF NECCESARY. ALSO, WHAT YEARS ARE EASY TO SWAP IN? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS, BILLY

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,451 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 at 05:58 pm

The interchange range is 2001-2003. You may be able to expand that by swapping components, but beware because the crank sensor may have changed type or orientation outside that range and that will keep you from getting it to run. But you will also need a 3.3 engine computer which must come from a 2001 3.3 minivan.

I'd try www.car-part.com and search for a 3.8 engine first.

#3 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,837 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 at 09:07 pm

And be aware that the transmission carries different transfer gears as the 3.8 is geared a little taller than the 3.3. That means you either change the transfer gears, which can be done with the transmission in the car, but isn't easy, or you swap transmissions as well.

You didn't tell us how many miles are on your van. You may be close to needing a transmission anyway. As well as struts, shocks, brakes, fuel pump and other expenses. Add that expense to swapping an engine and it may make more sense to scrap it and buy another one.

#4 richd

richd
  • 396 posts

Posted April 17, 2010 at 09:19 pm

With the transmission,I think you can put in the TCM from the 3.3 and it will work.

#5 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,837 posts

Posted April 18, 2010 at 01:56 am

It'll work, but it'll be overgeared so performance will suffer. And how long it'll work if the car already has 150K is also a real question.

#6 DUKTAPEKID

DUKTAPEKID
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted April 19, 2010 at 02:08 pm

Great, thanks for all the good info. That's what I planned on doing anyway, transferring the engine AND trans into the van, but I didn't know if I could use the 3.3 in place of the 3.8. I am goig to buy a wreck from Copart or one of those salvage auctions, but there are a LOT more 3.3's than 3.8's. I will have the whole van to pick off of, so I'll have everything I need. Thanks again, and I'll write in some more after I've got it done. I'll just make sure to get an 01 to 03 van with the running gear I want to use, so everything will work on the 01 T & C van that I have now. .

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.