cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Amc Eagle steering column.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 yjuana

yjuana
  • 4 posts

Posted April 27, 2010 at 05:35 pm

I'm noticing some "looseness/play" in my 1980 Eagle Wagon's steering column. I have another column from an 1986 Eagle and was wondering whether they are interchangeable and where I might find step by step directions on how to make the switch. I've never done this particular type of operation before but I have replaced starters, alternators, water pumps, radiators. etc on the car. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Your advice is appreciated.

YJUANA

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,774 posts

Posted April 27, 2010 at 05:48 pm

Is the play in a steering coupling down by the floor or in the upper portion (bearing) near the turn signal switch? Many of the Saginaw-type tilt columns suffered from loosened screws in the mid-column tilt mechanism. Snugging the screws would fix it. Getting at the screws might require special tools.
A Hollander's parts manual may tell you if they are interchangable. A service manual would have instructions and pictures of the column R&R operation.

#3 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,464 posts

Posted April 27, 2010 at 06:18 pm

1980 is unique. Only another 1980 column is listed as an interchange.
But 1981-1988 all interchange with each other.

#4 yjuana

yjuana
  • 4 posts

Posted April 27, 2010 at 06:29 pm

Is the play in a steering coupling down by the floor or in the upper portion (bearing) near the turn signal switch? Many of the Saginaw-type tilt columns suffered from loosened screws in the mid-column tilt mechanism. Snugging the screws would fix it. Getting at the screws might require special tools.
A Hollander's parts manual may tell you if they are interchangable. A service manual would have instructions and pictures of the column R&R operation.

Thank you!

1980 is unique. Only another 1980 column is listed as an interchange.
But 1981-1988 all interchange with each other.

Thank you much!

#5 yjuana

yjuana
  • 4 posts

Posted April 27, 2010 at 09:14 pm

Any mechanic that has repaired a 1973 to 1990 or thereabouts General Motors column can fix the AMC ones too. You want to have the tilt mechanism tightened up.

It takes 4 special tools:

• Steering wheel puller (to remove wheel)
  • Lock plate depressor (to remove steering lock mechanism snap ring)
  • Pivot pin puller (to remove the top part of steering column "bowl")
  • E8 torx bit (to tighten the tilt mechanism)
Last I checked a year or so ago you can get every common wear part, including the outer housing, tilt parts, and lock cylinders, at NAPA. I used to do lots of Monte Carlo and Cutlass columns due to theft, they would bust the column up trying to access the ignition, and I could get every single part to fix them. I doubt you need a whole column.

Be sure to remove and loctite compound the torx bolts so that they do not come loose again. It takes an experienced technician about 1 to 1.5 hours to complete, we used to charge about $60 to $100 depending upon what needed repair, but that was a few years ago so the price might have gone up somewhat.

Wow! What an amazing group of people on this site. Thanks again.

#6 Moon

Moon
  • 244 posts

Posted June 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I'm noticing some "looseness/play" in my 1980 Eagle Wagon's steering column,,,

,,, where I might find step by step directions

YJUANA

really good background information here for Saginaw type columns. Lots of detail; maybe too much for your purposes

http://www.fiero.nl/...TML/088020.html

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.