cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Sebring redesign = BAIC C70?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 empowah

empowah
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted April 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm

At the Beijing auto show, BAIC unveiled their C70 EV model. I didn't think much of it, but then on a double take, I noticed it has the same greenhouse as the current Chrysler Sebring. This makes sense, as Chrysler has a joint venture with BAIC and they manufacture Sebrings in China. BAIC must have restyled the Sebring, added an EV drivetrain, and called it their own.

I doubt Chrysler will inadvertently debut their Sebring redesign like this, but it does show the possibilities that an extensive sheetmetal makeover can have on a car, without actually changing anything underneath. Hopefully Chrysler's MCE of the Sebring is just as thorough.

And here are the pictures... you can hardly recognize the car it's based on, although it does use some vaguely Chrysler design cues up front:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A chop with a Chrysler-esque grill (not mine):

Posted Image

#2 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,674 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 07:53 am

Both Autoblog and Motor Trend mention the same thing - MT even notes that the shifter in the C70 resembled Chyrsler's "AutoStick."

I seem to recall another thread some time ago with a similar theme - a 'modified Sebring' was shown at a Chinese auto show and we speculated just how they could have gotten away with it.

Note that BAIC has bought or obtained rights to certain automotive designs - the first-gen Hyundai SantaFe is one, and they bought the last-gen Saab 9-5 and 9-3 designs recently. Could it be that they've obtained a similar deal for the Sebring, either via Daimler or Cerberus?

Or - putting my tin foil hat on - could this actually be a clue as to the exterior of the refreshed Sebring that won't be called Sebring?

Interesting - the rear fascia and taillights look similar to one of the photochops done in a recent Allpar thread...

More images:
http://blogs.motortr...s/photo_02.html

http://es.autoblog.c...010-baic-c70ev/

http://photo.bitauto...icture/34033/0/

#3 Marcos

Marcos
  • 3,010 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 09:26 am

I personally like the rear end treatment a lot. And the minor modification to the black C-pillar applique makes all the difference.

The front is so-so in my book.

#4 drew54

drew54
  • 2,557 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 09:45 am

There is a wing type logo on the front of this thing. Stratuscaster thanks for the extra hat... :ph34r:

Edit, how did i miss the note that this was a Chop....

Ok, Love the rear end of this car. I think it is a huge improvement in the C pillar, but still appears to have a fake window treatment there. Good lines on the side, and the headlights are good. The grill needs a little TLC, and this would be a sweet Sebring replacement.

Edited by drew54, April 28, 2010 at 09:48 am.

#5 MoparNorm

MoparNorm

Active Jeeper

• Supporters III
  • 24,387 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 10:09 am

I don't know, it's still, how do I say it...ugly? Remove the corrugated hood from the real Sebring and it's not that bad of a design.

How is the headroom in that back seat and what actually fits in that trunk?
Hopefully, when Chrysler replaces the real Sebring, they will rework the proportions...and does every car need 5 or 6 meaningless creases and bulges? Most cars from Asian design studios, copy this look, except maybe the Altima...

#6 thedriver

thedriver
  • 229 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 01:08 pm

I see a lot of Audi influence in the lamps, both front and rear..

#7 Rich Hutchinson

Rich Hutchinson

I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place.

• Forum Leader
  • Others:Supporters (L2)
  • 4,778 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 05:24 pm

I think I kinda like it. It would certainly represent a lot more than just slapping new fascias on it. This could legitimately be called something other than Sebring.

#8 Jackratchett

Jackratchett
  • Supporters III
  • Others:Active Member
  • 1,320 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 07:11 pm

Sent Dave an email on March 29 about the Chinese connection. The BE701 is the name of the electric version.
Posted Image
Below is a Concept BE701 which the body lines look to be a future look at the C70EV
Posted Image

The BE701 is built by BAIC’s Beijing New Energy Automotive subsidiary which uses the Chrysler Sebring as a base. The BE701 has some restyled sheet metal (mainly in the front end) to differentiate it from the current Sebring. The Question: Is Chrysler borrowing the restyled BE701 panels for it's 2011 Sebring/200C to cut costs and deliver a speedy resolve to some of the Sebring's criticized styling cues? If yes, then is the second image of a future BE701 concept based on the Sebring platform, and is it a hint of what could also be an already developed low cost answer to the future restyle of the Sebring/200C for 2013?

Rendering of the Sebring refresh rear
Posted Image
Posted Image
About the only thing I like about it is the rear. The rest is terrible.
Posted Image

Edited by Jackratchett, April 28, 2010 at 07:42 pm.

#9 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • 19,674 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 07:29 pm

I think I kinda like it. It would certainly represent a lot more than just slapping new fascias on it. This could legitimately be called something other than Sebring.

According to Freep, the new name is Nassau.

Thanks, Jack - that was the topic I was referring to earlier.

#10 Marcos

Marcos
  • 3,010 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 08:57 pm

That front end looks like a Toyota/Cadillac/Acura stew

#11 moparknighthawk

moparknighthawk
  • 596 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 at 09:45 am

Check out the later portion of this link. More "foreign" Sebring info. Previous gen Sebring sold to Russia as well as a Chinese version.

http://en.wikipedia....hrysler_Sebring

#12 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • 19,674 posts

Posted April 29, 2010 at 01:26 pm

Correct - the JR tooling was sold to GAZ Auto years ago, and there was a contract to supply them with the old 2.4L I4 engines out of Mexico as well.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.