cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel filler vent pipe

8 replies to this topic

#1 Caravan05851

Caravan05851
  • 198 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 at 08:49 am

2000 Caravan 3.3L

I replaced the fuel filler pipe with a new one because I have been having a large evap leak code and sometimes smelling fuel.

The instructions indicate the plastic insert to the plastic pipe that connects to the metal vent pipe would be stuck on the old vent pipe and would need to be "carefully" removed and reinserted into the plastic pipe connector.

Well sure enough, the platic insert did indeed stick to the old vent pipe and there was no way to remove it, in fact I ruined it trying to get it off the old vent pipe. There were two rubber o rings that came with the new pipe, one to be used when reinserting the plastic insert. I couldn't use the plastic insert and just used the two rubber o rings and it may have sealed it OK, I'll know shortly.

Question is are those inserts or the plastic pipe itself available from a dealer or auto parts store? Should I just replace the plastic pipe with rubber fuel line?

#2 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,654 posts

Posted May 12, 2010 at 11:05 am

2000 Caravan 3.3L

I replaced the fuel filler pipe with a new one because I have been having a large evap leak code and sometimes smelling fuel.

The instructions indicate the plastic insert to the plastic pipe that connects to the metal vent pipe would be stuck on the old vent pipe and would need to be "carefully" removed and reinserted into the plastic pipe connector.

Well sure enough, the platic insert did indeed stick to the old vent pipe and there was no way to remove it, in fact I ruined it trying to get it off the old vent pipe. There were two rubber o rings that came with the new pipe, one to be used when reinserting the plastic insert. I couldn't use the plastic insert and just used the two rubber o rings and it may have sealed it OK, I'll know shortly.

Question is are those inserts or the plastic pipe itself available from a dealer or auto parts store? Should I just replace the plastic pipe with rubber fuel line?

Is that the plastic locking tab that is used to lock the pipes together? If it is, I wonder how different it is from the fuel fiter lines locking plastic rings. The 2 o-rngs are probably providing a tight seal but don't likely halp to keep the plastic and metal pipes securely connected. You should be able to buy those plastic lock rings from a dealer but I don't have a part#. I may have a couple in a tool drawer left over from an old filter replacement but I don't know if that is the same size as the vent lines.

#3 Caravan05851

Caravan05851
  • 198 posts

Posted May 12, 2010 at 11:26 am

Is that the plastic locking tab that is used to lock the pipes together? If it is, I wonder how different it is from the fuel fiter lines locking plastic rings. The 2 o-rngs are probably providing a tight seal but don't likely halp to keep the plastic and metal pipes securely connected. You should be able to buy those plastic lock rings from a dealer but I don't have a part#. I may have a couple in a tool drawer left over from an old filter replacement but I don't know if that is the same size as the vent lines.

No its not the locking rings. Those are OK. The piece in questions I believe is part of the connector pipe and shouldn't come out, however apparently it happens often as the instructions that came with the filler pipe indicated this happens frequently and instructs one to carefully remove the piece from the metal vent pipe and reinsert it into the plastic pipe.

I'll see if I can scan the instructions and post it here. I might be able to just make an insert out of rubber hose or replace that whole plastic line.

#4 Caravan05851

Caravan05851
  • 198 posts

Posted May 12, 2010 at 01:13 pm

After calling a few dealers, one of them said the part may be called a "Fuel filler vent hose sleeve" and costs $13.00

Would need to be ordered.

#5 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,654 posts

Posted May 12, 2010 at 04:48 pm

After calling a few dealers, one of them said the part may be called a "Fuel filler vent hose sleeve" and costs $13.00

Would need to be ordered.

Here is what the parts catalog shows:

Posted Image

#6 Caravan05851

Caravan05851
  • 198 posts

Posted May 13, 2010 at 09:36 am

Here is what the parts catalog shows:

Posted Image

I talked to a local dealership that has seen this issue and they said that is not the part I need (also, I only have one vent pipe).

Apparently, the plastic tube that attaches to the end of the metal vent pipe is part of the gas tank itself (gas tank is $500.00). A junkyard part would be the same issue.

My check engine light is back on so it looks like I'll have to try and use a piece of rubber hose cut to the same dimension and thickness as the piece I need, which is about 1/2" long.

#7 billhiggs

billhiggs
  • 7 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 at 06:54 am

I replaced the filler neck and encountered the same problem with the vent sleave, would that eplain the gas smell I sometimes notice and a sudden drop in mileage?

#8 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,785 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 18, 2012 at 11:14 am

What year is your minivan? Certain mid-2000's had a fuel tank and fuel pump o-ring recalls. Look for wetness at the tank and tube for your smell fuel. Is the 'ck eng' light on?

#9 A.j. Schreiber

A.j. Schreiber
  • 292 posts

Posted July 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I have this problem, though not as severe. My 2000 DGC cant be topped off because the tank will leak from the o ring around the fuel lines. you also smell gas if you top it off. might be related

Edited by A.j. Schreiber, July 18, 2012 at 10:31 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.