Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

pt cruiser hatch stuck

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 yourlefthand (converted)

yourlefthand (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 12, 2010 at 02:08 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum (and new to the PT cruiser world) and have a little problem. I bought my 04 turbo lite on Friday with under 60k, and Sunday evening the hatch got stuck closed. The handle is partly up, and I can't find a way to get the thing open. I have pushed from the inside, pulled from the outside, everything but doing dances for the Mopar gods.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get it open?

Thanks!

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,238 posts

Posted May 12, 2010 at 03:40 pm

Welcome to Allpar and PT ownership. You may have to crawl into the cargo area and gently remove the plastic trim panel pieces starting at the top, remove the 3rd brake light trim. Everything is plastic push pins, no screws. Warm plastic is less likely to break. A wide flat 'forked' pry tool is recommended to slip on either side of the push pin and gently lever the tool to release the clip from the hatch sheetmetal hole. You may also want light.
Continue with the pieces on either side of the rear window and finally pop the large lower panel enough to get your hand inside the hatch and manually release the latch. You may be able to free up and lube the handle and hatch latch to keep this from re-occuring. It may have froze up due to lack of use.

#3 yourlefthand (converted)

yourlefthand (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 13, 2010 at 09:32 am

Welcome to Allpar and PT ownership. You may have to crawl into the cargo area and gently remove the plastic trim panel pieces starting at the top, remove the 3rd brake light trim. Everything is plastic push pins, no screws. Warm plastic is less likely to break. A wide flat 'forked' pry tool is recommended to slip on either side of the push pin and gently lever the tool to release the clip from the hatch sheetmetal hole. You may also want light.
Continue with the pieces on either side of the rear window and finally pop the large lower panel enough to get your hand inside the hatch and manually release the latch. You may be able to free up and lube the handle and hatch latch to keep this from re-occuring. It may have froze up due to lack of use.

Thanks for the help. I got the little push pin out and sprayed some PB blaster in through that hole. This morning we were able to get it open, then take the panel off and get all of the pieces lubricated. We also cleaned up all of the stinky PB blaster while we were in there. It works perfectly now!

#4 ajs (converted)

ajs (converted)
  • Guests

Posted October 23, 2011 at 06:16 am

You may have to crawl into the cargo area and gently remove the plastic trim panel pieces starting at the top, remove the 3rd brake light trim. Everything is plastic push pins, no screws. Warm plastic is less likely to break. A wide flat 'forked' pry tool is recommended to slip on either side of the push pin and gently lever the tool to release the clip from the hatch sheetmetal hole. You may also want light.

Thanks for this :thumbsup:
We bought a 2002 PT Cruiser earlier this year and the tailgate stuck & refused to open just after the 3 month warranty ran out.
I followed the above instructions, popped out all the panels and was able to manually open the tailgate.
With the tailgate open I could see that the 2 torx head screws that secure the locking mechanism had worked themselves lose and fouled the lock. Tightened up the screws and it works a treat.

Many thanks :clap:

Edited by ajs, October 23, 2011 at 06:17 am.

#5 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 21,273 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 at 10:08 am

Interesting. BTW never assume the dealer won't fix stuff out of warranty! We bought a used car from Teterboro and they honored the 90-day warranty over six months out. They said "We should have caught that during the inspection."

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.