cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Drivers side Airbag squib circuit failure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 karlStolz

karlStolz
  • Inactive
  • 1,379 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 at 05:22 pm

1999 Jeep Cherokee, auto, 4x4, 156,000 miles

Have had airbag light staying on for about 1 month. I pulled the airbag code with my scanner and get the following with no code listed: "Driver squib circuit open"

Is this typically caused by a clockspring failure? My cruise control and horn still work.

thanks, karl

#2 poorboy_616

poorboy_616

Mr. Fixit

• 2,343 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Yes, usually the clockspring causes this.

Check with local dealer as there is an active recall.

#3 karlStolz

karlStolz
  • Inactive
  • 1,379 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 at 07:30 am

Yes, usually the clockspring causes this.

Check with local dealer as there is an active recall.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I was aware of the clockspring recall on the minvans up through about 98 but never heard of one for the Jeeps.

#4 poorboy_616

poorboy_616

Mr. Fixit

• 2,343 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 at 03:15 pm

I thought I read somewhere that Jeeps were affected too (which is why I mentioned it). Call the dealer and see what they say....

#5 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,437 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 at 03:38 pm

Squib isn't the clockspring. It's the explosive device, so I would not automatically assume it is the clockspring. The only airbag related recall for a 1999 Cherokee is for the airbag control model relocation due to possible corrosion.

#6 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,753 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 at 04:19 pm

Recall #860 moved the airbag control module from under the drivers seat to up on the trans hump under the center console. Out of the way of a possible water puddle. I've seen this happen. Make sure that this recall has been performed.
The 'squib' is the airbag detonator. The clockspring is the likely 'open' in my experience. Test continuity through the clockspring with an ohmmeter.
Use published safety precautions if you decide to service the airbag system yourself. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes before starting work and avoid any static electric discharges.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.