cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Timing on a 1986 318 (5.2L) with a Mopar ignition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevman892

Kevman892
  • Inactive
  • 30 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 at 05:25 am

Hey guys, I know I've been posting alot of questions, but I'm not used to chryslers.. Anyway, it says in the car, that I should have my timing set at 12* BTDC, is this with the vacuum advance unplugged, or no?

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,457 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 at 05:59 am

You must disconnect and plug the vacuum line to set timing. You should also make sure the idle speed is set properly first as well. Some things to watch for:
1) The stock 12º timing may not work well with the conversion kit. It may want 10º or less.
2) Vacuum advance may be adjustable. The old kits you could adjust it using an allen wrench in the vacuum opening.
3) The springs in the distributor may provide more advance than a stock engine needs. The springs can be swapped if this is a problem.
It takes some fine tuning to get base, vacuum advance and mechanical advance timing where it needs to be with this kit sometimes. You want timing set properly so you get decent performance and good MPGs but with no pinging.

#3 Kevman892

Kevman892
  • Inactive
  • 30 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 at 05:17 pm

I changed it to 10*, starts 10X better, and runs like a champ!

#4 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,837 posts

Posted July 23, 2010 at 07:54 am

You're probably gong to have to set it at 5 degrees with a stock electronic ignition instead of the lean burn.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.