cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

2006 PT Cruiser Cruise control problem

8 replies to this topic

#1 link51

link51
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted August 3, 2010 at 11:40 am

My cruise control has stopped working. It shows it activated when I press the on button and then push the lever down to set it, but no cruise. I went to the engine compartment and checked the fuses and really do not know what fuse is for the cruise control. Still checked them all and they checked out ok. I removed the vacuum hose at the servo and definitely heard the air release in the vacuum line. Replaced the cable on servo thinking it was stretched but still no cruise. Is there a relay or something that I am over looking? I am also told there are no inside fuses on the left side on the 2006 or above PT Cruisers. I would appreciate any suggestions on this problem.
Thanks.

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 4, 2010 at 03:22 am

If the 'cruise' light is coming on, the fuses are all OK. The cruise is actually a feature built-into the PCM. A scan tool may be used to check switch inputs (on, set, resume, etc), fault codes, etc. to determine the reasons that cruise isn't functioning. The brake pedal switch adjustment/output is a big cause of no cruise.

#3 link51

link51
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted August 4, 2010 at 08:31 am

If the 'cruise' light is coming on, the fuses are all OK. The cruise is actually a feature built-into the PCM. A scan tool may be used to check switch inputs (on, set, resume, etc), fault codes, etc. to determine the reasons that cruise isn't functioning. The brake pedal switch adjustment/output is a big cause of no cruise.

Thanks. I will have a friend put his scan tool on it and check it out. My break switch seems ok because my break lights work as they should, but I will have a look at it anyways. Again thanks for the info.

#4 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 4, 2010 at 10:59 am

The brake pedal switch can have up to 3 separate switches inside it. Brake lights are a N/O (normally open) switch and cruise would be a N/C (normally closed) switch. Tapping the brake pedal will 'open' the power to the cruise servo and disengage the cruise.

Edited by ImperialCrown, August 4, 2010 at 11:01 am.

#5 speed nut

speed nut
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted August 7, 2010 at 06:21 pm

My cruise control has stopped working. It shows it activated when I press the on button and then push the lever down to set it, but no cruise. I went to the engine compartment and checked the fuses and really do not know what fuse is for the cruise control. Still checked them all and they checked out ok. I removed the vacuum hose at the servo and definitely heard the air release in the vacuum line. Replaced the cable on servo thinking it was stretched but still no cruise. Is there a relay or something that I am over looking? I am also told there are no inside fuses on the left side on the 2006 or above PT Cruisers. I would appreciate any suggestions on this problem.
Thanks.

#6 speed nut

speed nut
  • Inactive
  • 2 posts

Posted August 7, 2010 at 06:30 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum, I also have this problem, (PT cruser non-turbo, 2006) I just noticed this broblem and have not done any touble shooting.
I f I find any answers will post here.

REA

#7 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 8, 2010 at 05:18 am

The PCM may also disable the cruise control if a fault code is detected that might pose a safety risk if cruise were allowed to operate.
Scan the PCM for codes to make sure that no faults are present.
One particular code P0573 - Brake switch #1 circuit high is addressed in TSB # 18-07-07 and involves a software reprogram (flash) of the PCM.
If this code is present, do not erase it and go ASAP to your dealer so they can install the new flash.
There might be a diagnstic charge depending on the dealer but the software change itself should be covered under the PCM's 8 yr/80,000 mile emissions warranty.

#8 evangeld

evangeld
  • Members - Under 2 Posts
  • 1 posts

Posted January 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm

This sounds exactly like my 2005 PT Cruiser's problem, except I get a scan code of P0572.  Is there a flash for this as well, or is my switch likely bad?

Thanks, you guys are amazing!

#9 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • 11,780 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 6, 2013 at 01:18 pm

Welcome to Allpar.  No flash for 2005. Solve for the brake switch circuit low. You may want a factory service manual or powertrain diagnostic procedures book with wiring diagrams for this.

P0572-BRAKE SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW

When Monitored: With the engine running, vehicle speed >50 km/h (31 MPH), battery

voltage >9.5 volts and no other brake switch DTCs present.

Set Condition: If the PCM detects no change from the Brake Switch Sense circuit input

after coming to a complete stop, it will increment a counter. If the counter increments 10

times, the DTC will set and the MIL will illuminate.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

INTERMITTENT CONDITION

FUSED B+

BRAKE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND

BRAKE SWITCH CLOSED

PCM

Edited by ImperialCrown, January 6, 2013 at 01:19 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.