cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

mopar horsepower being left in the dust

179 replies to this topic

#161 chewie402

chewie402
  • 335 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 19, 2014 at 05:38 am

I just realized...this thread is closing in on 4 years old! :)

#162 roger

roger
  • 89 posts

Posted April 2, 2014 at 01:09 pm

I just realized...this thread is closing in on 4 years old! :)

4 years and not much has changed.The hellcat challenger with its supposed price tag of 75 to 80000 dollars is a waste,even if it had 800 hp.Gm is in the same boat with its 75000 dollar z28.These so called halo cars like the viper and hellcat are for pr .who can afford one/viper line shut down for lack of sales.I yearn for the days of the roadrunner,something affordable and competive with the competition ,not a overpriced halo car.

#163 md80891

md80891
  • 922 posts

Posted April 2, 2014 at 01:27 pm

4 years and not much has changed.The hellcat challenger with its supposed price tag of 75 to 80000 dollars is a waste,even if it had 800 hp.Gm is in the same boat with its 75000 dollar z28.These so called halo cars like the viper and hellcat are for pr .who can afford one/viper line shut down for lack of sales.I yearn for the days of the roadrunner,something affordable and competive with the competition ,not a overpriced halo car.

at one point it does become senseless because for regular use an engine can only take so much and the cost to go higher is exponentially greater.

#164 Christopher

Christopher

Socially Unacceptable

• 4,367 posts

Posted April 6, 2014 at 01:33 pm

4 years and you're still whining about this?  Wow...

Edited by Christopher, April 6, 2014 at 01:34 pm.

• Detonator Yellow likes this

#165 Cajun300C

Cajun300C
  • 39 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 at 01:13 pm

The 5.7L is a great engine...I have it in my 2013 300C JV Limited,  but it's a very old engine.  Chrysler needs to get up to the times and produce another engine (possibly a 425+hp 5.0L DI).  I counted 6, maybe 7 models that can/would take advantage of the new engine. The 300, Charger, Challenger, RAM, Durango, and Jeep Grand Cherokee would ALL greatly benefit from this.  If they come out with the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer, that's 7.  I'm pretty positive that they could cover the cost of the R/D and Engine Certification.  Hell, you could probably fit it in the Wrangler Unlimited if they really wanted to.  That would almost cover it with just the RAM, GC, and Wrangler the way they sell.  I guess a man can just dream.....

Edited by Cajun300C, April 14, 2014 at 01:16 pm.

• floridaman2013 likes this

#166 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,676 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 at 01:51 pm

Really?

Please show me where Dodge guaranteed anything about a HEMI or V6 power increase with Charger and Challenger.

The Charger is not a Dart. That's simply not seeing the forest for the trees and juvenile whining.

Enjoy your Impala.
  • ptschett and tlc like this

#167 anthonynj

anthonynj
  • 11 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 at 02:41 pm

Yes, really.  Compare the front end and rear ends.  Dart.  Most people see this.  It is ok for the Dart, but not when it makes the Charger look like one.  To each his own.  And stating an opinion is not whining. 

#168 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • 19,676 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 at 03:21 pm

Yes, really.  Compare the front end and rear ends.

I have. They are different. There are styling similarities, as expected with vehicles from the same brand. Headlamp clusters are completely different, and the ones on the Charger are at less of an angle than those of the Dart. The grille area is larger. The rear tail lamps and fascia are different on both cars.

Not to mention that the car isn't just the front and rear ends - it's everything in between as well.

Most people see this.

I'm not most people. ;)

"Many people" approach a new car's styling like this:
Does it have a historic name? Yes? Then find everything on the car that doesn't look historic and complain about it.
Look at the front fascia/grille & lights. Complain about how they "stole" it from another car.
Look at the rear fascia & lights. Complain about how they "stole" it from another car.
Focus on a piece of trim around the daylight opening. Complain - even write an entire blog entry - about how the automaker's stylists are trying to make the public think it's supposed to be a window. Don't consider that without the trim the daylight opening would look awkward. Don't consider production methods that require there to be a hole in the bodywork that necessitates the use of that trim piece.

I could go on.

It is ok for the Dart, but not when it makes the Charger look like one.

And it's OK for the Dart because...why?

I've stated this in one of the other Charger/Challenger design discussion threads - there have been folks that have said the Charger looks like a Dart, or a Journey, or a Durango, or even an Avenger.

It looks like a Dodge.

To each his own.

Indeed.

And stating an opinion is not whining.

OK.
  • Christopher likes this

#169 roger

roger
  • 89 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 at 04:22 pm

Obviously, they do not care.  Today confirms it.  All the bs reports off a Hemi and V6 increase.  Waiting for months, almost a year.  Then today...NOTHING!  They not only kill off the Charger and make it into a Dart, the not only offer NO performance upgrade on the V6 or 5.7 and up, they decide that they do not want to make AWD with the V8 any more.  Mopar or no car?  NO CAR!  NO MOPAR!  Sick of their stupidity.  They will never catch GM or Ford with stupidity like this at the helm.  Unless I can get a good deal on a REAL Charger out now or used, the Impala looks so much better now.

welcome to my world/and if you cut the forrest down, the charger looks like a oversized dart and still a 4 door at that/i could stand  a oversized 2 door dart.all i ask is more power scotty but alas, scotty has left the building and resides at gm and ford.need to start planting more trees strat.

#170 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • 19,676 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 at 09:25 pm

Oh, please...not the "4-door" argument AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Brand loyalty is great. When the brand no longer offers what you want, you can either go somewhere that does or whine about it in the hopes they'll change.

I'll just leave you guys alone to comfort each other in your frustrations.

#171 sgtmyers88

sgtmyers88
  • 10 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 at 02:15 am

I just saw pictures of the new Charger today and I actually like it. While the '06-'14 chargers are great and I love the aggressive front end styling they have. IMO the exterior revision on the new model resembles an evolution on the 1G Stratus if they had chosen a sportier muscle car look back in the day for the '01-'06 models of that vehicle. (I never liked the styling of the 2G Stratus)

#172 sgtmyers88

sgtmyers88
  • 10 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 at 02:43 am

These attachments were meant to attach to the post above regarding the Charger 1G Stratus comparison. Anyways, just from my observation the redesign was probably (likely) to maintain consistency for product identity as stated by Stratuscaster. Sure it may look like a Dart but I don't really hate the Dart either. I never understood the hate towards the Dart/200.

2015 Dodge Charger

2015-Dodge-Charger-exterior.jpg

Dodge-Stratus-1996-800-04.jpg

Edited by sgtmyers88, April 18, 2014 at 02:50 am.

#173 Christopher

Christopher

Socially Unacceptable

• 4,367 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 at 07:25 pm

Well, I for one enjoy my 4 door Charger.  I find the *mere* 370hp more than adequate. 

Still not seeing the Dart.  Except maybe for the crosshair grill.  And the headlights.  And the 4 wheels.  It probably has seats too.  I bet they have those in the Dart.  Yep...they're clones.

The new Impala is a nice looking car.  If it had been available when I bought my Charger I'm sure I would have taken a look at it.  Enjoy yours.

#174 anthonynj

anthonynj
  • 11 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 at 07:05 am

Well, I for one enjoy my 4 door Charger.  I find the *mere* 370hp more than adequate. 

Still not seeing the Dart.  Except maybe for the crosshair grill.  And the headlights.  And the 4 wheels.  It probably has seats too.  I bet they have those in the Dart.  Yep...they're clones.

The new Impala is a nice looking car.  If it had been available when I bought my Charger I'm sure I would have taken a look at it.  Enjoy yours.

Most people are calling it a Dart clone because of how much it resembles it. Maybe you dont see it, but most do.  HP is fine, but an increase would be nice.  Impala is an option, but that would be tough since I have been Mopar for 30 years.  Looking for a current Charger.  Why are the people on this forum so nasty and hateful when someone voices their opinion?  Whatever.  Happy Easter!

Edited by anthonynj, April 19, 2014 at 07:10 am.

#175 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,785 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 19, 2014 at 10:09 am

Your opinion counts here as does anyone else's. I'm guessing by the title of this topic that it started as a rant and got passions flaring. It is the nature of the beast. I hope that no one takes things too personally or too seriously in this discussion. Nine pages and counting.

There is a horsepower and supercar race on. Chrysler needs to focus on viable and profitable cars and trucks with class-leading attributes at the same time as having halo cars like the Viper and a fleet of worthy SRT entries to satisfy the go-fast crowd.

With where they came from after the bankruptcy and the hardware they have coming out, to remain competitive while being careful with money they have, I'd say that they are doing a pretty darn good job of it.

SRT sights are set on the bow-tie and blue oval competition.  Happy Easter!  :)

#176 floridaman2013

floridaman2013
  • 321 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I like the new front end of the Charger! I think it is sexy, sleek, and not a Dart, which I like also. The new 200 is better looking too and time will tell how people receive it in showrooms. As far as horsepower goes, you can only go so fast on public roads and whatever we are driving, as long as the vehicle has good get up and go, can tow my boat, get decent fuel mileage, and out run a 18 wheeler to get on an on ramp, then we are happy with what we have. We have a 2014 Jeep GC with the 3.6 8 speed and recent rip to Florida got just over 26 MPG again, combined. Not the Hemi or Diesel, but very fuel wise and strong enough for us. How many people need to have 500 HP? How many vehicles will Chrysler sell at over $50,000 for high power muscle cars today when gas is close to $4.00 for regular?

#177 Christopher

Christopher

Socially Unacceptable

• 4,367 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 at 03:57 pm

Most people are calling it a Dart clone because of how much it resembles it. Maybe you dont see it, but most do.  HP is fine, but an increase would be nice.  Impala is an option, but that would be tough since I have been Mopar for 30 years.  Looking for a current Charger.  Why are the people on this forum so nasty and hateful when someone voices their opinion?  Whatever.  Happy Easter!

It is when you throw around things like "most do" without any supporting data that you invalidate that claim.  I don't see.  My brother doesn't see.  Aside from online forums where critical and independent though go out the windos, I've not heard one person compare the Charger to the Dart.  None of them see it.  And a clone?  Please.  Stop with the rhetoric.  You weaken your argument with hyperbole. 

But aside from that, having a family resemblance along the brand line isn't a bad thing. If it works. 

• floridaman2013 likes this

#178 jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe

Plymouth Makes It

• Supporters
  • 4,799 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted April 20, 2014 at 08:37 pm

Usually the smaller one in the lineup resembles the larger one. The buyers will vote with their cash. My feeling is an early refresh of the Charger followed by Dart.

#179 chewie402

chewie402
  • 335 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted Yesterday, 12:56 pm

Obviously, they do not care.  Today confirms it.  All the bs reports off a Hemi and V6 increase.  Waiting for months, almost a year.  Then today...NOTHING!  They not only kill off the Charger and make it into a Dart, the not only offer NO performance upgrade on the V6 or 5.7 and up, they decide that they do not want to make AWD with the V8 any more.  Mopar or no car?  NO CAR!  NO MOPAR!  Sick of their stupidity.  They will never catch GM or Ford with stupidity like this at the helm.  Unless I can get a good deal on a REAL Charger out now or used, the Impala looks so much better now.

No performance upgrade...outside of being upgrade the Challenger R/T a larger engine with 480HP to allow to more directly compete with the Mustang GT/Camaro SS without having to pay SRT pricing?  You mean other than that?

#180 anthonynj

anthonynj
  • 11 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:54 pm

No performance upgrade...outside of being upgrade the Challenger R/T a larger engine with 480HP to allow to more directly compete with the Mustang GT/Camaro SS without having to pay SRT pricing?  You mean other than that?

I never mentioned the Challenger.  I have not seen the upgrade that you mention listed anywhere as being available for the Charger.  I may have missed it, sorry if I did. 

Edited by anthonynj, Yesterday, 02:08 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.