cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

are all 5 lug rims the same

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 toddsturbo

toddsturbo
  • 196 posts

Posted August 17, 2010 at 12:27 am

I know they come in different sizes of course but i pulled the wheels from the daytona so i have spares for my chevy cavalier.
They're both 5 lug rims and they fit on the cavalier.Only difference is the daytona's rims are 15 inch and the cavaliers are 14 inch.

The daytona is 195/60/15

The cavalier is 205/70/14

Iremember a while back a discussion about rim sizes and tires and how a taller tire will sometimes make up the difference with a smaller rim.

#2 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,349 posts

Posted August 17, 2010 at 08:05 am

No, all rims are NOT the same for a given diameter wheel. The lug spacing can and does vary between and even within brands. My Daytona has a 5 x 100mm pattern.

http://www.mymopar.c...?showtopic=9623 See "bolt circle measure".

#3 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,470 posts

Posted August 17, 2010 at 09:26 am

Besides the lug pattern, which is the same 5x100mm on the Daytona and the Cavalier, you need to also make sure the following are correct:
1) Offset - one wheel may have a different offset than the other meaning there can be rubbing on the inside or the outside.
2) Lug nut holes and taper - I believe these will be the same between the two vehicles mentioned, but they must match for the lug nut to properly clamp the wheel.
3) Center register - You want the center hole in the rim to match with the hub on the car. If the hole in the wheel is larger than the hub register, the wheel is relying on the lug only to hold the wheel in place. That is not ideal.
4) Width variation - the width of the factory wheel can vary by manufacturer, car line or even trim level on the same car.

If the rims fit, then what you need to do is use a tire size calculator to see what changing tire size will do, like this one:
http://www.1010tires...p?action=submit
It shows you will end up with about a 4% error changing the tire size.

#4 toddsturbo

toddsturbo
  • 196 posts

Posted August 17, 2010 at 05:36 pm

Besides the lug pattern, which is the same 5x100mm on the Daytona and the Cavalier, you need to also make sure the following are correct:
1) Offset - one wheel may have a different offset than the other meaning there can be rubbing on the inside or the outside.
2) Lug nut holes and taper - I believe these will be the same between the two vehicles mentioned, but they must match for the lug nut to properly clamp the wheel.
3) Center register - You want the center hole in the rim to match with the hub on the car. If the hole in the wheel is larger than the hub register, the wheel is relying on the lug only to hold the wheel in place. That is not ideal.
4) Width variation - the width of the factory wheel can vary by manufacturer, car line or even trim level on the same car.

If the rims fit, then what you need to do is use a tire size calculator to see what changing tire size will do, like this one:
http://www.1010tires...p?action=submit
It shows you will end up with about a 4% error changing the tire size.

I'm not sure about the offset or width variation.The taper holes seemed to match up but i'm not positive on the center register.I don't have a visible hole on the daytona rims as that part is covered up.

I bought the tires new a few years ago and hate to let them go while they still have good tread on them.I'm selling the daytona tommorrow and put an old spare set on.The folks buying it are most likely gonna part it out so i wanted to try and salvage my good tires.

I'm getting $250 for it which is more than i'd get by calling the junker to come haul it away.If they want to buy the tires for a few dollars more then i may just do that.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.