cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

3.0 V6 oil dipstick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin1990

Kevin1990
  • 415 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 at 06:32 am

Hey guys,

Stupid question....

Is it normal that the Oil level on the Mitsu V6 rise up to MAX when its warm, but in cold condition it´s below the MIN area.
I know, always check engine oil at operating temperature, but is that usual? And when shoud the level be checked.....?

Thanks!
Greetings
Kevin

#2 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 at 07:51 am

Hey guys,

Stupid question....

Is it normal that the Oil level on the Mitsu V6 rise up to MAX when its warm, but in cold condition it´s below the MIN area.
I know, always check engine oil at operating temperature, but is that usual? And when shoud the level be checked.....?

Thanks!
Greetings
Kevin

I found the Mitsu 3.0 dipstick arrangement to be pretty lousy. It looks like after you shut the engine off, a sufficient amount of oil remains in the tube and when you push the dipstick all the way in to check the oil. It always has quite a bit of oil on it near the bottom (when you are not overfilled and even when you are low). Even wiping and repeating helps very little. I guess all the twists in the tube and stick cause this.

I check the oil in the morning before I start the engine. You can get a better indication after it has sat for a long time. I also try to maintain mine at the half way point between full and add. The engine seems to leak less when the oil is a bit low (by maybe half a quart).

#3 Kevin1990

Kevin1990
  • 415 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 at 08:02 am

I found the Mitsu 3.0 dipstick arrangement to be pretty lousy. It looks like after you shut the engine off, a sufficient amount of oil remains in the tube and when you push the dipstick all the way in to check the oil. It always has quite a bit of oil on it near the bottom (when you are not overfilled and even when you are low). Even wiping and repeating helps very little. I guess all the twists in the tube and stick cause this.

I check the oil in the morning before I start the engine. You can get a better indication after it has sat for a long time. I also try to maintain mine at the half way point between full and add. The engine seems to leak less when the oil is a bit low (by maybe half a quart).

Yes, the stick is lousy, not really correct...

So you say just check the level when the engine is cold, level should be, as ait should be all the time, between MIN and MAX?

#4 Russ90Daytona

Russ90Daytona
  • 2,808 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm

John Wood is correct. Check it when it has had time to settle into the pan a bit for best accuracy. It can also help to look at both sides of the dipstick on this engine.

#5 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,457 posts

Posted August 20, 2010 at 06:05 am

I will give the 3.0 engine credit. Up until I had one of them, I though the Olds Rocket 350 (at least in the 70's downsized GM cars) had the worst dipstick design on the plant. But the 3.0 Mitsubishi in my LeBaron sure changed my mind. I've yet to find one worse.

#6 george w

george w
  • 922 posts

Posted August 20, 2010 at 06:42 am

I agree, the dipstick reading can be misleading. Sometimes you can get a better read by looking at the back side of the stick. If you're really low on oil then the dipstick seems to do a better job. These engines don't like to be overfilled though. Using 4 quarts ( w/ filter change ) at oil / filter change time seems to work the best.

#7 Kevin1990

Kevin1990
  • 415 posts

Posted August 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

Just checked the level at operating temperature, front side (with marks), a little bit below MAX, on the backside a little bit over MIN. I think it´s correct to check the level on the front side....but in cold condition i got almost no oil on the dipstick...

#8 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,323 posts

Posted August 20, 2010 at 02:15 pm

I can NEVER get a good reading on my wife's 97 Camry 4-cylinder. The tube smears the oil on both sides of the stick so you can only get an approximate range of where it is.

#9 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted August 20, 2010 at 02:27 pm

Just checked the level at operating temperature, front side (with marks), a little bit below MAX, on the backside a little bit over MIN. I think it´s correct to check the level on the front side....but in cold condition i got almost no oil on the dipstick...

When the engine is cold, all the oil should have dripped back into the pan from the engine internals. I would think it should read higher. True... there is a little thermal expansion, but it should not be that noticeable.

Probably the best thing to do is wait until the next oil change and read your stick with the specified amount of oil added, keeping in mind that the filter needs abou 1/2 quart. Use that reading as a guideline and check it cold.

There is some possibility you could be a little low right now based on your observation.

#10 Kevin1990

Kevin1990
  • 415 posts

Posted August 22, 2010 at 05:49 am

When the engine is cold, all the oil should have dripped back into the pan from the engine internals. I would think it should read higher. True... there is a little thermal expansion, but it should not be that noticeable.

Probably the best thing to do is wait until the next oil change and read your stick with the specified amount of oil added, keeping in mind that the filter needs abou 1/2 quart. Use that reading as a guideline and check it cold.

There is some possibility you could be a little low right now based on your observation.

It´s interesting.....at cold condition, the level is exactly on MAX, but a few runs on the dipstick, cause it´s not flat.
I need 4,3 Litres of Oil, includes filter change.

The engine looses about 1 litre oil on 3000 - 5000 KM.

Thanks a lot for the good input, will try it exactly how you guys told me!

Greetings
Kevin

#11 Doug D

Doug D

Virginia Gentleman

• 9,055 posts

Posted August 22, 2010 at 07:30 am

I can NEVER get a good reading on my wife's 97 Camry 4-cylinder. The tube smears the oil on both sides of the stick so you can only get an approximate range of where it is.

I've noticed when the dipstick tube is long or makes a few turns, it can be difficult to get an accurate reading. The dipstick tubes on my Acclaim (2.5L) and Journey (3.5L) are short and up front and can be read easily. My Ram's (5.7L) dipstick tube is longer and sometimes it can be difficult to get a good reading. I often have to insert and wipe the dipstick a few times to get a good reading. On the '93 Aerostar (3.0L) we had a while back, I always had to read the back side to get a good reading. Like Bob's Camry the oil would smear all over unless I read it with the engine stone cold (after sitting overnight).

I think it may have something to do with the fluid tension also - can give an inaccurate reading.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.