cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

2006 PT Cruiser UConnect - Play music from Android phone?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gardenwife

Gardenwife
  • 5 posts

Posted August 25, 2010 at 07:54 pm

The UConnect on our 2006 PT Cruiser works great for phone calls, but we've not been able to figure out a way to play music from our phones through it. We have phones running Android 2.1 -- Samsung Vibrants. Our stereo is the upgraded Boston Acoustics system with the 6-CD changer and satellite radio.

I spoke to an mobile audio installer at Best Buy and he advised against changing anything from stock since UConnect is run through the rearview mirror already and everything works well. He said by the time I got everything I'd need to have satellite, bluetooth calling, bluetooth audio, etc. it would really run into the dollars. Nice he didn't try to sell me a bunch of stuff, but....

We just want to be able to listen to music from our phones. We have a Belkin FM transmitter, but there's always static and the sound is poor. We'd really like a wireless solution, but if a wired 3.5mm jack is the only way we can do this, so be it.

Is this possible?Does Chrysler have any kind of an add-on for their stock stereos?

#2 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,640 posts

Posted August 26, 2010 at 08:48 am

They have an iPod connection kit at around $200 and other vendors sell one for $110 which allows a direct hardware connection. In both cases they provide an "aux" input for satellite radio or whatever, which you can connect to your headphone jack. Or for $15 you can buy a cassette adaptor if you have a cassette player.

#3 Gardenwife

Gardenwife
  • 5 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 at 07:53 am

They have an iPod connection kit at around $200 and other vendors sell one for $110 which allows a direct hardware connection. In both cases they provide an "aux" input for satellite radio or whatever, which you can connect to your headphone jack. Or for $15 you can buy a cassette adaptor if you have a cassette player.

Hi, Dave. Thanks for the reply.

No, no cassette player. I never thought I'd wish a low-tech solution on myself again, but that adapter was the simplest solution for years with other car audio systems! LOL

Ours is the stock satellite system with 6-CD internal CD changer and Sirius radio. It has the upgraded Boston Acoustics sound system and the UConnect system with the rear view mirror mic and controls. We've not had the stereo out to see what kinds of inputs it has in back and which are still free.

This morning, I was looking at these:

FM stereo modulator (not transmitter) with RCA jacks: http://www.installer....php?it=FMM-100
Dash mount 3.5mm input (includes 3.5mm to RCA converter): http://www.installer...em.php?it=PDM35

Until we know what our system has available, I guess we'll hold off. My hubby's not keen on disassembling the dash, so we're trying to find out the specs of the stock system.

#4 Gardenwife

Gardenwife
  • 5 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 at 01:46 pm

Thought I'd bump this since I found my thread while doing a search on Google again! LOL Are there any FM transmitters out there that work well? I've tried a couple, and both produced a lot of electronic interference, very distracting since I tend to listen to audiobooks where it's most noticeable.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.