Posted October 9, 2010 at 10:26 pm
I finally located a compressor at a local salvage yard for $75, and pulled the clutch and clutch coil off of it and put it on my compressor. I pulled the mounting bolts and tilted the compressor uppward and with C-clip pliers removed the clutch and coil. The clutch with the bearing takes a little tapping with a wooden dowell and hammer on opposite side to work it off. The low side port had a leak and I think that is what caused the loss of the coil with a lot of on and off cycling on a 500 mile trip. I repaired the port, pulled a vacuum, added 1 oz of oil and put 2 pounds of R-134 and the pressures fell right in place and had 40 degrees coming out the vents... Not a bad repair for 100 K miles in 12 years, a lot better that a new compresser, drier, and related other stuff that goes with doing that.