Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Compressor clutch coil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 gcromer

gcromer
  • 39 posts

Posted October 6, 2010 at 02:08 pm

I know that there has to be someone on this group that has had to replace the AC compressor on their 1998 Dakota. My clutch coil on the Sanden 4692 has opened up and I don't want to replace the compressor and drier just for needing the coil and clutch assembly. Does anyone have an old compressor still around that I could get these pieces off of. I went to the local Pull-A-Part and the only one that was on the lot had been on fire on the front end and the compressor was a mass of Alum.

Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC

#2 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,244 posts

Posted October 6, 2010 at 04:16 pm

If you google 'sanden 4692 clutch coil, you will see some sources. The 4692 is in the Sanden SD7H15 compressor family. This family is used in many widespread A/C applications, not just Dodge truck/Jeep.
Dealers only serviced this unit as a complete compressor assembly.

#3 gcromer

gcromer
  • 39 posts

Posted October 9, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I finally located a compressor at a local salvage yard for $75, and pulled the clutch and clutch coil off of it and put it on my compressor. I pulled the mounting bolts and tilted the compressor uppward and with C-clip pliers removed the clutch and coil. The clutch with the bearing takes a little tapping with a wooden dowell and hammer on opposite side to work it off. The low side port had a leak and I think that is what caused the loss of the coil with a lot of on and off cycling on a 500 mile trip. I repaired the port, pulled a vacuum, added 1 oz of oil and put 2 pounds of R-134 and the pressures fell right in place and had 40 degrees coming out the vents... Not a bad repair for 100 K miles in 12 years, a lot better that a new compresser, drier, and related other stuff that goes with doing that.

Gerald K4NHN
Cayce, SC

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.