cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo

Pictures--AMC AMX 1980 model

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 nickdalzell

nickdalzell

Favors Fine Fifth Avenues

• 7,502 posts

Posted October 14, 2010 at 07:12 pm

OK so it don't have the fender flares, so sue me! you try finding American Motors parts in this town!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honestly, i think it looks better without them but that's just me.

Details:

1980 American Motors AMX (Spirit platform/body)
258cu-in Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
4 Speed stick shift
AM/FM/CD player (the 8-track was dead--i could not revive it :( )
new clutch, brakes, top end, carb rebuilt once, linkages, wiring in some places, aluminum flex fan (no clutch), A/C and smog delete. factory paint, interior.

Edited by nickdalzell, October 14, 2010 at 08:39 pm.

#2 JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo
  • Supporters
  • 1,780 posts

Posted October 17, 2010 at 10:50 am

Something to look for, find a nice set of alloy wheels from a Jeep GC or Cherokee. I would think the gold lace spoke wheels from a Cherokee Limited would look good on it.

#3 nickdalzell

nickdalzell

• 7,502 posts

Posted October 17, 2010 at 01:15 pm

Sadly the only Jeeps here are from the late 1990s early 2000s in the yards. and they all have crappy caps on them.

Finally got it to idle properly, it was clogged idle tubes. runs like a new car now. sadly the top aluminum trim on the windshield frame flew off as i drove today. i am unsure where to find a replacement, AMC is just non-existant here. i may have to fab a new one. having it missing throws the car's looks off entirely now.

Curious. i am constantly told that the engine is from a Ford, even though AMC made the 258. it does have a Ford starter and solenoid on it, and a Ford Dura-Spark ignition (not sure if that is factory or not) under the hood, but is it an actual Ford Straight Six? if so i can find countless engine parts for it should i ever need them.

Edited by nickdalzell, October 17, 2010 at 01:18 pm.

#4 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,674 posts

Posted October 17, 2010 at 07:53 pm

Everything I've found states the 258 is an AMC engine, built from 1971-1990, and used in several AMC and Jeep products. Nothing says that it's a Ford engine.

It's know that many of the 'accessory' pieces used by AMC were Ford or GM, and AMC did use GM's Iron Duke I4 to replace the VW/Audi I4 it was using.

#5 Bearhawke

Bearhawke

Things happen for a reason

• Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,859 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 at 10:38 am

Sadly the only Jeeps here are from the late 1990s early 2000s in the yards. and they all have crappy caps on them.

Finally got it to idle properly, it was clogged idle tubes. runs like a new car now. sadly the top aluminum trim on the windshield frame flew off as i drove today. i am unsure where to find a replacement, AMC is just non-existant here. i may have to fab a new one. having it missing throws the car's looks off entirely now.

Curious. i am constantly told that the engine is from a Ford, even though AMC made the 258. it does have a Ford starter and solenoid on it, and a Ford Dura-Spark ignition (not sure if that is factory or not) under the hood, but is it an actual Ford Straight Six? if so i can find countless engine parts for it should i ever need them.

Engine parts should be the least of your worries, Nick. The 258 was used in Jeeps from 1971 to ca. 1988. :)

#6 Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Radioactive

• Forum Leader
  • Others:Active Member
  • 5,336 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 at 11:31 am

Sweet ride Nick!

I would make friends with somebody in the parts department of a former AMC dealer to see what parts they might have in the warehouse.

#7 Voyager_Expresso

Voyager_Expresso

Unusually Geeky

• 890 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 at 11:13 am

I'm jealous!

I remember looking at those when they were new and really wanting one. I still do!

The 258 six is definitely an AMC engine. I'm thinking in 1980, the ignition system was from Autolite, which was a Ford subsidiary. Anyway, the 258 was essentially a stroked version of the 232 six, which was introduced on certain Rambler models during the 1964 model year. There was also a 199 CID version of the same engine, available through 1970. All three engines, the 199, 232 and 258, had 3.75" bore diameters. The displacement was increased via lengthening the stroke as follows (bore X stroke dimensions):

199 = 3.75" X 3.00"
232 = 3.75" X 3.50"
258 = 3.75" X 3.90".

There was apparently a 282 CID version of the AMC six available on the Mexican market, but I don't know much about it.

In 1987, a 4.0L, 242 CID version of the AMC six was introduced for Jeeps. It had a larger bore and shorter stroke than the 258 (I'm thinking it was 3.875" X 3.44", but I could be wrong).

In my mind, the AMC six was the best of the modern sixes. It was really durable, had lots of power, and it was smooth in operation (thanks in large part to its 7-main-bearing crankshaft).

#8 Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Radioactive

• Forum Leader
  • Others:Active Member
  • 5,336 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 at 11:19 am

In 1987, a 4.0L, 242 CID version of the AMC six was introduced for Jeeps. It had a larger bore and shorter stroke than the 258 (I'm thinking it was 3.875" X 3.44", but I could be wrong).

On my drive home yesterday I was behind an 80's vintage jeep with a 4.0 badge. It made me smile.

#9 Voyager_Expresso

Voyager_Expresso

Unusually Geeky

• 890 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 at 02:50 pm

On my drive home yesterday I was behind an 80's vintage jeep with a 4.0 badge. It made me smile.

Ha! Every day, there's one sitting out in the employee parking lot where I work. Wish it was mine! :)

Marvelous engine, the ol' AMC inliner. Yeah, the 3.8L V6 in the current Wranglers is a good engine too, but I'd much prefer to find it under the hood of a minivan!

#10 nickdalzell

nickdalzell

• 7,502 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 at 07:25 pm

I'll get some interior shots up soon. anyone who knew me when i first signed onto Allpar with a worn-out Dodge Aries K would know some of the accents i put into the interior (like my shift knob)

#11 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,646 posts

Posted November 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Before and after'd be nice

#12 nickdalzell

nickdalzell

• 7,502 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 at 07:55 pm

Before and after what? the car is not a project and was and is in relatively good shape. the only thing i did was replace the stereo and add a deer shift knob. the only outside mod was blacking out the header panel and grille.

Someone else did the honor of de-smogging it and adding the radiator fan, did all the service, and replaced pretty much most of the parts for new ones

Edited by nickdalzell, November 17, 2010 at 07:56 pm.

#13 patricklynch

patricklynch

Happy R body St. Regis driver, blissed out Plymouth VIP driver

• 4,141 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 at 08:09 pm

Looks good! I see one of these cars now and then. It's in rougher shape cosmetically but running around still.

#14 nickdalzell

nickdalzell

• 7,502 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

i must admit, i was just as ignorant as the rest of KY when i saw her, i thought it was some import. a really old one. the only familiarity i had with AMC was the Jeep CJs and early Cherokee/Wagoneer that used AMC components. the only badge being 'AMX' with no sign of 'AMC' also threw me off, so i looked it up, finding out the 1979-80 was the only use of the Spirit body, and only 865 of the 1980 were produced, making it rare in some fashion. mine was in a backyard and not running for a long time and sat next to a rusty old Chevy Dually so i ignored it mainly, but when the clutch and engine was rebuilt i test drove it and fell in love. i have had a thing for sticks too since working in the late 1990s into the early 2000s at Perf-A-Lawn where all their trucks were stick. though i loved my M-body Fifth Avenue, i was bored to tears with an automatic and even now i prefer the manual windows, locks, transmission and basic yet functional interior of the AMX still.

I also read a lot about how this 'AMX' was not a 'real' AMX, that the 'real' AMX died when they lost the V-8 engine. but it seems that after a couple decades things change. many times the most common comment is 'Wow, i have not seen those in a long time' and kids seem to drool quite literally over them, seeing as they probably never saw one before, being familiar with only ricers and new late model cars that look pretty common and are not too showy

Edited by nickdalzell, November 20, 2010 at 10:16 am.

#15 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,646 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 at 11:41 am

FWIW

http://www.allpar.com/amc/
http://www.allpar.com/amc/amx.html

#16 nickdalzell

nickdalzell

• 7,502 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 at 01:40 pm

Notice there is hardly a mention, or in the links, no mention, of the 1979-80 model AMC Spirit/AMX, which is what my car is. i believe no one really cared much for them, merely despising them due to it being a rebadged AMC Spirit with fender flares and an air dam, and nothing more. in 1980 the Spirit/AMX had no option for a V-8 engine, making the 258 cubic inch inline six the only engine, further shattering the racey legend the 1968 AMX began. the production of the 1980 model was stopped mid-year, with only 865 produced, making the 1980 model hard to find, many today have been reworked to resemble a 1979 instead, including a V-8 swap.

However, i like it, it's unique, there are no others like it here in town, and it's pretty stock. no engine swaps, no 1979 mods, although it lacks the air dam and fender flares, an improvement if you ask me

Edited by nickdalzell, November 21, 2010 at 01:42 pm.

#17 nickdalzell

nickdalzell

• 7,502 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 at 09:42 am

Here are some interior pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Voyager_Expresso

Voyager_Expresso

Unusually Geeky

• 890 posts

Posted December 5, 2010 at 05:48 pm

Was that gearshift knob standard, or was it an option? :)

The rear seat torture chamber looks slightly better upholstered than the ones in my various Gremlins. :) :)

#19 chuzz

chuzz
  • 5,052 posts

Posted December 7, 2010 at 03:36 pm

That's a nice car, Nick. I had a roommate in college that had a 74 Gremlin that he abused the heck out of. It had the 258 with a three speed on the floor. He never checked the oil or anything else on that car and it just kept running. When the driveshaft fell out of it in 1980, his daddy donated it to the Salvation Army and gave him a Pontiac. What a POS that thing was!!

#20 nickdalzell

nickdalzell

• 7,502 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 at 03:22 pm

Gearshift knob was definitely not an option or standard from AMC. that was my own doing using a trailer ball cover that fits the old knob perfectly :)

I am going to have to change whatever it has for oil, probably hasn't seen plugs or oil changes in a long time. right now i'm still tackling what i hope is a fixed fuel delivery issue

UPDATE: drove it past 70MPH without it stalling once, appears i have fixed it. before i could not go past 50 without it acting as if it were out of fuel. i use see-through fuel filters too and believe me the sight of the first two would blow your mind. that gunk was getting into my carb! no wonder i had issues! :o

Edited by nickdalzell, December 10, 2010 at 08:14 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.