cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

p0700 p1776 p0351 p0352 codes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ed D

Ed D
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm

97 GC 3.8L 180K - rebuilt trans 2 years ago. p1776 p351 p352 p0700 in that order

I was accelerating hard from a dead stop and about 30 mph it bucked and shutdown. I rolled to a stop and could not restart. No chk eng light.

Towed it home and pulled the codes. It seems anyone else only gets p0700 & p1776 and that would be a solenoid pack and maybe a TCM. I thought I should have been able to get a restart and limp home if it was just a trans code problem. Now I have had previous P351 etc. codes and it was always a connection problem with the coil. A re connect usually fixed it.

Is there any reason that i got all these codes at once or is it just coincidence? If so then I have 2 seperate problems. I am getting a new solenoid pack and then check coil connection again.

#2 JusBringIt (converted)

JusBringIt (converted)
  • Guests

Posted October 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm

The codes were just stored and may not all have come at the same time. I've had codes with no display (no cel) so that's not out of the ordinary. This coil problem not being properly fixed initially could have caused the transmission issue. The bucking could have triggered the solenoid code.

#3 Ed D

Ed D
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 at 11:23 pm

The codes were just stored and may not all have come at the same time. I've had codes with no display (no cel) so that's not out of the ordinary. This coil problem not being properly fixed initially could have caused the transmission issue. The bucking could have triggered the solenoid code.

so get it running again first ( coil problem ) and then see if it is still a trans problem? I see that logic.

#4 JusBringIt (converted)

JusBringIt (converted)
  • Guests

Posted October 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm

so get it running again first ( coil problem ) and then see if it is still a trans problem? I see that logic.

That's basically what I'm suggesting. After getting it running, you should be able to notice any transmission issue. If no issue, have the car scanned again after 200 miles to see if there are any hidden codes(usually the check engine light appears and then disappears). If none, then you should be all set. I cannot say for sure whether or not the coil issue caused permanent solenoid damage however.

#5 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 11,755 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 at 03:35 am

It may not be the ignition coil itself that has failed. If the stall occurs when that particular winding in the coil should fire, it can set the P035x fault.
P1776 isn't automatically a sol pack failure, you need a diagnostic procedure book to follow for an answer. P0700 is just the PCM saying that a code is stored in the TCM.

#6 Ed D

Ed D
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 at 09:23 am

I went through 2 previous coil replacements and still kept getting no starts and cel/codes. I worked on connector and codes went away previously. The connector & length of wire to connector are suspect and I may have to get another from the scrap yard and patch it in. I still won't rule out another coil. thanks

#7 Ed D

Ed D
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I went through 2 previous coil replacements and still kept getting no starts and cel/codes. I worked on connector and codes went away previously. The connector & length of wire to connector are suspect and I may have to get another from the scrap yard and patch it in. I still won't rule out another coil. thanks

Drum roll please...................... :rimshot: it was a 20A engine fuse in the under the hood box.
Codes clear and running fine again........... :facepalm:

#8 Mick M

Mick M
  • 1,656 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 at 12:45 am

Good. It was simple and easy to fix. sounds like a great day.
Mick

#9 Ed D

Ed D
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 at 07:44 pm

Good. It was simple and easy to fix. sounds like a great day.
Mick

Well not so easy. I drove it around town and it was fine. I then i took it for a beat run - hard acceleration (like the time it quit on me).

3rd time it quit. I put many fuses in and it blows every one when I turn ignition on. I get P0351/353 codes each time. I disconnected coil and same result. I jiggled wires near coil etc. no good.

I am studying the wire diagram to see where to go next. The transmission ran and shifted fine and no more trans codes..

#10 JusBringIt (converted)

JusBringIt (converted)
  • Guests

Posted October 31, 2010 at 09:11 pm

Glad the trans codes are gone. Elec. power cutting out while there is power to the wheels can do severe damage.

Sounds like you have a short elsewhere.

#11 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,646 posts

Posted November 1, 2010 at 06:15 am

Check your wiring harness and pigtail leads for any wire insulation that may have rubbed through. Particularly check the wires going to the O2 sensor (front unit and rear unit). The heater wiring for the O2 sensors is on the same fuse as the coil primary wires.

#12 Ed D

Ed D
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted November 2, 2010 at 01:29 am

Front O2 sensor - I unplugged sensor and found wires in harness side twisted almost 360 degrees. I couldn't tell if they were shorted but the connector had been laying on exhaust manifold. I uncoiled and spread apart added new fuse and starts right up.

I will have to dig into harness repair.

#13 Frank G

Frank G
  • Inactive
  • 255 posts

Posted November 2, 2010 at 01:36 am

Front O2 sensor - I unplugged sensor and found wires in harness side twisted almost 360 degrees. I couldn't tell if they were shorted but the connector had been laying on exhaust manifold. I uncoiled and spread apart added new fuse and starts right up.

I will have to dig into harness repair.

Nice work, Ed! Hope this did the trick. Have one on me. :cheers:

#14 Ed D

Ed D
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted November 2, 2010 at 11:06 am

Nice work, Ed! Hope this did the trick. Have one on me. :cheers:

I have to give credit to you all in leading me in the right direction ! Love the Larry picture

Edited by Ed D, November 2, 2010 at 11:06 am.

#15 Ed D

Ed D
  • Inactive
  • 11 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 at 12:13 am

I have to give credit to you all in leading me in the right direction ! Love the Larry picture

It was a section of harness upstream of the O2 sensors by exhaust manifold. It had on wire that was shorting against the manifold. Patched it and now running fine.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.