Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Broken Timing Belt - PT Cruiser 2002

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 fyrfytr706 (converted)

fyrfytr706 (converted)
  • Guests

Posted November 30, 2010 at 07:37 pm

My daughter was coming home from college in her 2002 PT when her timing belt broke. Dealer told me $1400 to fix, mechanic in town told me $650. Both told me this would just get the car started and that they wouldn't know if the valves were damaged until this was fixed. My question is, should I take the chance on this fix and hope the valves are fine or just replace the engine?

#2 Cudapete

Cudapete
  • 3,966 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 at 07:48 pm

In most cases on this board it's been reported that the valves were okay. They should clear valve to piston but may have valve to valve interference. How is the rest of the car? If good, I would go with repalcing the belt and also do the water pump at the same time.

#3 Doug in Florida

Doug in Florida
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 2,331 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 at 09:39 pm

I agree with Cudapete.

How many miles are on the car?

There is a post on here somewhere, where somebody actually had the head off and moved the cams to verify that there is no valve to valve interference.

$1400 is steep, $650 isn't bad.

I've done it to my PT twice, once to change everything and again to line up the cams correctly. :facepalm:

The second time it took me about 4 hours total, but I didn't have to change the water pump or tensioner the second time. I'm ready to replace the belt again as I passed 199,000 miles yesterday, so hopefully I'll get it right the first time this time around.

Edited by Doug in Florida, November 30, 2010 at 09:41 pm.

#4 dana44

dana44
  • 16,663 posts

Posted November 30, 2010 at 10:01 pm

The valves should be fine unless she was at redline when the belt broke. Mine sheared teeth off the belt at idle and I didn't have any problem, and when I ported the head at 35,000miles I moved both cams at different angles to try to get the intake and exhaust valves to touch each other and couldn't. So unless the rpm was high engough and the vavles were floating, about a one percent chance of there being a problem with them.

#5 ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown
  • Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,245 posts

Posted December 1, 2010 at 04:08 am

The Gates timing belt website lists the 2.4L engine as a 'non-interefrence' engine ( the valves can't hit the pistons due to mis-timing). I have heard that intake and exhaust valves can hit together in a mis-timing event, but this would be a rare instance.
It's easy to check for bent valves without pulling the head. Just remove the rocker shafts under the valve cover, this will close all valves and keep them closed. Then do a compression test.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.